Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Girl's On Film (or, "Betsy gets dashcammed-up")

Mincey

14 hours ago, Dippo said:

I missed another one! If you check the rear view, you can see the speed limit in the Tesco car park is 10 mph. I rest my case.

I think I should turn myself in to the Rozzers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I’m afraid it’s the current young generation that waste more energy than any generation before it. New phones every year, throwing away perfectly good electrical items, upgrading anything and everything as soon as they can. Buying the must have latest fashion accessories and clothes well before their current ones are ready to be replaced from a wear and value perspective. They have to be driven to school, they cannot walk anywhere, they have to jet off somewhere for holidays every time, I could go on. The pampered younger generation who want it all, want to take no responsibility for their actions and want to blame everyone but themselves for everything. Feel better now I’ve got that one off my chest 🤣🤣🤣  

• Like 9

40 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

I’m afraid it’s the current young generation that waste more energy than any generation before it. New phones every year, throwing away perfectly good electrical items, upgrading anything and everything as soon as they can. Buying the must have latest fashion accessories and clothes well before their current ones are ready to be replaced from a wear and value perspective. They have to be driven to school, they cannot walk anywhere, they have to jet off somewhere for holidays every time, I could go on. The pampered younger generation who want it all, want to take no responsibility for their actions and want to blame everyone but themselves for everything. Feel better now I’ve got that one off my chest 🤣🤣🤣  

Amen Brother. You saved me typing pretty much the same thing.

• Like 2

The disposable culture! Thank you millennials et al. for that one.

I have a jacket, keychain and umbrella that are older than literately any of my college age students. Heck I still have a functioning spectrum zx 48k and associated tapes!

Well said Paul!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, peniole said:

The disposable culture! Thank you millennials et al. for that one.

I have a jacket, keychain and umbrella that are older than literately any of my college age students. Heck I still have a functioning spectrum zx 48k and associated tapes!

Well said Paul!

My Sheepskin Jacket is 50 tomorrow !👍

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

My Sheepskin Jacket is 50 tomorrow !👍

I'm afraid I haven't hit 50 quite yet. Mine is leather and turned 28 this autumn. Distressed leather look just like the one's they pay an arm and a leg for, except mine wasn't distressed 28 years ago 🤣

• Like 3

On 11/1/2021 at 6:43 PM, paulrnx said:

But Paul, we are their parents or parents parents! So should we accept some culpability? Having said that I believe something much more insidious is at play. That is, once you accept the concept of disposable "stuff" then that is one step away from having disposable history, thoughts and empirical evidence. Witness some of the things that are being expounded today, let alone in 5/10 years from now 

6 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

But Paul, we are their parents or parents parents! So should we accept some culpability?

I for one, accept none. Thankfully, I found a like minded partner and decided to not procreate. I try to change minds through teaching, but it's an uphill battle.

On 11/1/2021 at 7:43 PM, paulrnx said:

I totally agree and think this is now common behavior in the western world. However, i do not think you can blame those self centered instagrammable consumable superficious ignorant youngsters. Not at all. They are a product of the time they grew up in. Let me explain. Back in the sixties and seventies when i grew up there was... well nothing really. The average family was poor and struggling to have food on the table. Clothes? yes functional and only change when worn. Our family did not have a car and sometimes when i look at pics from the time it strikes me how empty the streets were. If you wanted to escape that situation the only way was school, study and then the job ( after having loads of jobs to pay for the study). Then work work work long hours and make your way to the top. When my first child came my first reaction was, well i have to work more hours need money! Fast forward to todays youngsters. First child arrives and they are at my desk want to work one day less.. They grow up in total wealth everything is there within 10 minutes. Mom and dad have plenty of money, nice holidays and after school they take a "sabbatical " travel the world for a year on their parents creditcard! They are used to consume and throw away what they dont need now. They are a product of the time we live in. Strawberrys available for 12 months and jeans from china delivered within 5 days for 6 euros Crazy times. I do feel however we have entered a zone of total disruption where things will not return to "normal ".  

For instance, the younger generation is not interested in cars, not at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peniole said:

I for one, accept none. Thankfully, I found a like minded partner and decided to not procreate. I try to change minds through teaching, but it's an uphill battle.

Thankfully Peniole there are people who think otherwise. If not the world as we know it for humans would most certainly end in a very short space of time 😱

9 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Thankfully Peniole there are people who think otherwise. If not the world as we know it for humans would most certainly end in a very short space of time 😱

One or two to maintain, ok. But 7! ,cough Boris, 7! We decided to even out the odds from such selfishness.

It's the people who think otherwise, in an irresponsible fashion, who are pushing the planet to destruction for humans and the rest.

1 hour ago, peniole said:

My wife and I also took that decision and do not regret it in the slightest.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

I totally agree and think this is now common behavior in the western world. However, i do not think you can blame those self centered instagrammable consumable superficious ignorant youngsters. Not at all. They are a product of the time they grew up in. Let me explain. Back in the sixties and seventies when i grew up there was... well nothing really. The average family was poor and struggling to have food on the table. Clothes? yes functional and only change when worn. Our family did not have a car and sometimes when i look at pics from the time it strikes me how empty the streets were. If you wanted to escape that situation the only way was school, study and then the job ( after having loads of jobs to pay for the study). Then work work work long hours and make your way to the top. When my first child came my first reaction was, well i have to work more hours need money! Fast forward to todays youngsters. First child arrives and they are at my desk want to work one day less.. They grow up in total wealth everything is there within 10 minutes. Mom and dad have plenty of money, nice holidays and after school they take a "sabbatical " travel the world for a year on their parents creditcard! They are used to consume and throw away what they dont need now. They are a product of the time we live in. Strawberrys available for 12 months and jeans from china delivered within 5 days for 6 euros Crazy times. I do feel however we have entered a zone of total disruption where things will not return to "normal ".  

For instance, the younger generation is not interested in cars, not at all.

My parents married in 1954. They had their first child in 1958 because, before then, they couldn’t afford to have children. My father had his first car in 1966 as before then he ‘didn’t need one’ living in London as they were at the time before they moved to the suburbs. Different times.

It’s often occurred to me that, as a child of the early 1970s (I’m the youngest) my experience growing up was very similar to that of my Father growing up in the 1930s, and his Father, and his Father…the world has changed so much in the last thirty years! We were relatively affluent, but as the child of parents bought up in the war years everything was precious and re-used. In many ways, we were far more environmentally conscious - albeit unintentionally - than some of those making lots of noise now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, peniole said:

One or two to maintain, ok. But 7! ,cough Boris, 7! We decided to even out the odds from such.

To be fair to BoJo, I’m not sure the ‘children’ related consequences were at the front of his ‘mind.’ 😆

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, peniole said:

I've posted this elsewhere to just illustrate how damaging...well the figure speaks for itself

erlaa7541f1_hr.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAYD

Well if the figures speak for themselves in what tongue and who produces a such a non attributable graph? 

14 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Well if the figures speak for themselves in what tongue and who produces a such a non attributable graph? 

Thought the graph still linked to the original scientific journal paper. Here...

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa7541

Figure 1A

Has already been cited 538 times and counting

12 hours ago, peniole said:

Thought the graph still linked to the original scientific journal paper. Here...

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa7541

Figure 1A

Has already been cited 538 times and counting

Well the first line of the abstract puts me off straight away! Christopher Essex has reviewed Naomi Oreskes book "Why trust Science" and one comment on climate change is illuminating. 

Climate science was cobbled together about the same time as it was captured by the founders of the IPCC. Sir John Houghton said that it had to be “orchestrated” for political reasons. And so it has been, growing moribund and ever further from actual science. It is a bad idea, unsuited as an example of normal science. I don’t think that there has ever been anything quite like it in history, but J. Bronowski warned about captured science nearly 50 years ago. He observed that the intellectual leadership of the 20th century was from science and that there is “an age-old conflict” between intellectual leadership and government political power., 

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

Well the first line of the abstract puts me off straight away! Christopher Essex has reviewed Naomi Oreskes book "Why trust Science" and one comment on climate change is illuminating. 

Climate science was cobbled together about the same time as it was captured by the founders of the IPCC. Sir John Houghton said that it had to be “orchestrated” for political reasons. And so it has been, growing moribund and ever further from actual science. It is a bad idea, unsuited as an example of normal science. I don’t think that there has ever been anything quite like it in history, but J. Bronowski warned about captured science nearly 50 years ago. He observed that the intellectual leadership of the 20th century was from science and that there is “an age-old conflict” between intellectual leadership and government political power., 

Are you sure you are reading the link above. It's a scientific paper where the first line is

"Current anthropogenic climate change is the result of greenhouse gas accumulation in the atmosphere, which records the aggregation of billions of individual decisions. Here we consider a broad range of individual lifestyle choices and calculate their potential to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in developed countries, based on 148 scenarios from 39 sources."

nowhere in the paper do the words essex or cobbled appear 🤣

and I don't know where you found that paragraph of drivel to quote and claim it's from the paper.

Unless I misunderstood your comment and you are discrediting the whole field of climate science using that quoted paragraph because you didn't like the first line in the paper and think the whole CO2 global warming field is nonsense? Which didn't immediately come to mind in this day and age of extreme weather, flooding, unprecedented fires...etc. but then again those are natural phenomena, part of a large swing cycle, right?

in the words of a fictional character "The truth can indeed be a finger down the throat of those unprepared to hear it."

and in the words of a less fictional character

24 minutes ago, peniole said:

Apologies to @Mincey for the thread being hijacked. How did we get from the dashcam, soundtrack and going over hatches to here?

Sorry. Please save us with another excellently scored dashcam clip.

I shall see what I can do 🤣

17 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

But Paul, we are their parents or parents parents! So should we accept some culpability? Having said that I believe something much more insidious is at play. That is, once you accept the concept of disposable "stuff" then that is one step away from having disposable history, thoughts and empirical evidence. Witness some of the things that are being expounded today, let alone in 5/10 years from now 

Yes some culpability certainly but as any parent will know, trying to stop teenagers and young adults from doing what they want is an almost impossible task in today’s world nowadays.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links