Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Who Do You Insure With?

STE041

9 hours ago, DavidCM said:

How long,if at all,will your reviews last?

Reviews on-line can be and often are totally massaged by whomsoever .............not even an indication of " worthiness " these days sadly .....  good or bad reviews are usually totally meaningless to customers in the real world of the business operating ....  especially scam businesses that can operate, it seems for a longish time, with impunity and 5* Reviews 

Insurance companies aside no doubt 🤔

Malc

Which? magazine has today published their latest survey of car Insurers, together with their 'League Table' ranked in descending order.

I have included below the table, but their complete set of articles is available online (I believe)

Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 15-32-49 Best and worst car insurance companies - Which.png

Quite encouraging that Aviva are one of those that are recommended. I've just switched to them after being with Admiral for about 5 years.

I don't really care who I'm insured with as my car isn't particularly desirable to thieves and I'm not in the habit of being involved in accidents on a regular basis.

I'm just checking a box to be legal, and will usually stay a customer with whomever I'm insured with provided the renewal price is fair, but Admiral wanted over £100 more this year for some reason, and nearly £400 overall.

Half an hour later on some comparison sites, and I got myself a new policy with a few add-ons included (Protected NCB, legal protection, breakdown cover) and still saved nearly £150.

Shop around. When it comes to car insurance, your loyalty is eventually punished, not rewarded.

• Like 1

I once went with Direct Line's approved repairer for a claim and they were fairly hopeless: Took several attempts to get the repair right. I avoided the local Tesla/Toyota bodyshop cause I had a shockingly bad repair there previously: colour didn't match the first time, they put the bumper on wrong so the boot lid caught on it, put the model letters on crooked etc. I'm with Direct Line as an insurer at the moment so reassured by the above table. (Thanks @Illogan) Hoping I don't have to claim with them but if I do I'll be very careful who I get to do the repair and get some personal recommendations next time. 

On 1/20/2023 at 6:26 AM, Tonyw said:

Lloyds bank was surprisingly my cheapest, renewal in April 

£600 ish, 9Yrs no claims (company car before then) 

I too have business use, full comp, protected, courtesy car etc etc. Although I did restrict to 8k miles 

My renewal has just come through today at £520, don’t have the spare time to do loads of research done two market compares and got £630 back as cheapest from LV, so just staying as am. 

£493 in total to get our 2 Lexus’s insured fully comp on separate policy’s with both of us named on each others policy as 2nd driver 👍🏻 

Both our renewals where extortionate rises so we shopped around and have both left last years company’s ( AA and onecall) and are now with tescobank …their prices where even less than last years insurance company’s we where with , saved around 350 changing insurance between the two of us 

109E7A2A-85EA-47CA-91D1-9C74279BF718.jpeg

40 minutes ago, mr2lad said:

£493 in total to get our 2 Lexus’s insured fully comp on separate policy’s with both of us named on each others policy as 2nd driver 👍🏻 

Both our renewals where extortionate rises so we shopped around and have both left last years company’s ( AA and onecall) and are now with tescobank …their prices where even less than last years insurance company’s we where with , saved around 350 changing insurance between the two of us 

109E7A2A-85EA-47CA-91D1-9C74279BF718.jpeg

My home insurance renewal from Nationwide came through at £70 more than last year (already a big rise over year before). Always been happy with the company but price was off-putting. Did a comparison site and Tesco came in at just over £300 (compared to NW's £468). I don't like comparison sites so I did a Google search for 'best customer service' and 'companies with good pay-out records' and Tesco were very near the top. Went to their website direct and, with Clubcard discount, the quote came in at £164. This didn't include Home Emergency cover at £44 but otherwise the policy had equal or better terms than Nationwide. Sorry Nationwide but this year my business goes to Tesco Bank. Certainly pays to shop around when it comes to insurance of any kind.

• Like 2

I'd never thought of Tesco bank for insurance quotes   BUT  I think I was recently reading that Tesco's is giving-up on it's banking business asap ...

Malc

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2023 at 6:41 AM, Tonyw said:

My renewal has just come through today at £520, don’t have the spare time to do loads of research done two market compares and got £630 back as cheapest from LV, so just staying as am. 

I have just switched from Aviva to LV , better price 

On 2/4/2023 at 2:51 PM, Ken R said:

I'm with Aviva online paying less than £300 pa for a 2022 NX450h+ fully comp with business cover and only compulsory excesses. Very reasonable.

How is it so cheap ??????  Must be down to wherever you live ? 

• 3 weeks later...

My renewal quote has come through and has risen from £839.62 to £1197.41 which is through flow (LV) - you lot don't know you are born!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scoops said:

My renewal quote has come through and has risen from £839.62 to £1197.41 which is through flow (LV) - you lot don't know you are born!

That's very steep. Do you live in a part of the Midlands with a bad reputation? Mines due soon in Sussex so will let you know how that stacks up 

I am paying just over £400 for my current model BMW M5 which has over 600 BHP and is 3 times more expensive than my ES which is costing me over £800 with the same company???

Both stored in the same place, same drivers, same NCD, same miles covered, and both with Social Domestic and Commuting cover with the same excess amount.

That just doesn't compute, when I asked the agent why they just said "it's down to the underwriters, they set the prices"...???

On 5/4/2023 at 10:57 AM, fourbanks said:

That's very steep. Do you live in a part of the Midlands with a bad reputation? Mines due soon in Sussex so will let you know how that stacks up 

Owning and driving an RX my insurance renewal has just come through - Aviva - and has risen from £374 last year to £780 this year!!! I’ve made no claims, same details etc. I have to wonder whether the theft figures on the RX (Canbus) is having an effect…

LV wanted £1800 (lol) and Direct Line similar to Aviva renewal.

Comparison sites have got the renewal ‘down’ to £535 with Axa, but there is clearly something going on. I live in a pretty low risk area (for the South East). This will be the most I’ve paid for insurance in 10 years.

For comparison my other car - a MINI Cooper - has seen no such increase yoy. It was £90 last year, it is £92 this year (occasional SDP use only, classic policy).

13 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Owning and driving an RX my insurance renewal has just come through - Aviva - and has risen from £374 last year to £780 this year!!! I’ve made no claims, same details etc. I have to wonder whether the theft figures on the RX (Canbus) is having an effect…

Judging by the report in this article in Fleet News, it would appear that the Lexus RX450 is the first Lexus to enter Tracker’s Top Ten list.

So that might well account for it being regarded as now presenting an additional risk.

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fleet-industry-news/2023/02/27/first-ever-hybrid-car-makes-tracker-s-top-ten-most-stolen-and-recovered

This data from the DVLA probably didn’t help your case either.

It shows that the Lexus RX 450 F Sport CVT was the most stolen plug-in last year, with 160 recorded thefts in 2022, compared to 70 in 2021 - an increase of 129 percent.

• Thanks 1

I've just switched to LV because they were £200 cheaper than my AA renewal (this had doubled!) I could have got a much cheaper deal but the excesses were over a grand! I did consider going for one of the cheaper deals and putting the difference in the bank each month to go towards the excess but life's too short sometimes.

• Like 2

I must have bucked the trend this renewal with fully comprehensive at £317.00 including excess cover and legal protection on a JDM import, 6% less than last year.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 6:41 AM, Tonyw said:

Not a happy chap after trying to insure my new car today.

called Lloyds and told her I am swapping my car for exactly the same but new at the weekend. She told me that my current underwriter won’t insure me?
tried another one and it came to £930.

went back to the Lexus one for the 3 day drive away and it is slightly better at £600.

Are you sure you've got everything you want in that quote from Lexus? I got a quote from them where I added in Legal Cover, Protected NCB, Overseas use etc. The quote seemed reasonable. When I went back in to actually buy, the things I thought I'd asked for came up as extras again, so the actual price they wanted to charge was about £250 more. I went elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Dippo said:

Are you sure you've got everything you want in that quote from Lexus? I got a quote from them where I added in Legal Cover, Protected NCB, Overseas use etc. The quote seemed reasonable. When I went back in to actually buy, the things I thought I'd asked for came up as extras again, so the actual price they wanted to charge was about £250 more. I went elsewhere.

Protected 10yrs yes, no to everything else

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links