Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Attempted Theft of my RX450h 2020

22 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

^^ Why avoid Churchill out of interest? I’ve never been with them, but they’re the cheapest quote for me this year, £250 cheaper than Aviva (who I’ve been with 3 years) for equivalent cover and over £100 cheaper than anybody else on the comparison websites.

I’ve submitted a quote request to Chris Knott this afternoon based on the recommendation given @RONNIE W HODGEKINSON

Will be interested to see how they compare as tbh I’ve never heard of them!

TBH.. Neither had I But so many Members of the LOC Have said they are a Good and Reliable insurance company And Triumphantly sing there Praises..Good enough for me if The price is right..!!!! Many insurance companies on the go-compare site i Have never heard of But i Tend to concentrate on the Reviews and opinion of others..What better accolade you get from members of this group to recommend them  best of luck..!!!

• Thanks 1

I notice that the door mirrors are folded, indicating the car was (almost certainly) locked. How do they do that without a key, i.e. if it was stolen using CANBUS theft? Is it a case of once they’re ‘in’ so to speak they can do pretty much as they wish?

On 5/21/2023 at 11:44 AM, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

TBH.. Neither had I But so many Members of the LOC Have said they are a Good and Reliable insurance company And Triumphantly sing there Praises..Good enough for me if The price is right..!!!! Many insurance companies on the go-compare site i Have never heard of But i Tend to concentrate on the Reviews and opinion of others..What better accolade you get from members of this group to recommend them  best of luck..!!!

It was a great recommendation @RONNIE W HODGEKINSON

I insured with Chris Knott today, good service and a very competitive price matched to my lowest comparison site quote (actually they beat it).

Many thanks, much appreciated! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

It was a great recommendation @RONNIE W HODGEKINSON

I insured with Chris Knott today, good service and a very competitive price matched to my lowest comparison site quote (actually they beat it).

Many thanks, much appreciated! 

Oh That's Great Ed.. So pleased that you Got fixed up with Car Insurance and with a Reputable And very Reliable Company..You should have no Problems In the event of a Claim.. Hopefully that will Never happen.. But you can totally Relax Now Buddy..Brilliant News And so glad I was able to point you in that direction...Take care.and best Wishes to you and all the Family...Ron

• Like 1

I had my 2018 RX450H stolen last week - it was 3ft away from my house. I assume it was relay theft. I have MS and the car had a hoist fitted and my mobility scooter inside.

I have found a replacement and in preparation before collecting it, have ordered a Milenco steering wheel lock and Faraday pouch. Am now looking into getting a ghost immobiliser fitted. 

Anyone have any advice/recommendations please for brands/fitters? I am in Hertfordshire. 

Many thanks

• Sad 2

t would be interesting to find out if the Ghost immobiliser car stop thieves steeling your car, taking into account the way they are now steeling them now, plugging something in behind the front wheel arch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wendle said:

t would be interesting to find out if the Ghost immobiliser car stop thieves steeling your car, taking into account the way they are now steeling them now, plugging something in behind the front wheel arch.

Yes it should do, but it won't stop the damage caused by an attempted theft.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 2:22 PM, 08ISF said:

Just had an email from Lexus Customer Services advising that they have successfully tested the blanking plates they mentioned in their earlier reply to me and were in the process of obtaining some before  working out how to roll out fitting them. So it seems they are on the case!

Watch this space.

Hi Graham, I was just wondering whether you have heard any more from Lexus?

I did inform my Lexus centre about this but it was a surprise to them! They did not know anything about this.

Nothing concrete  yet, but I chased them up this weekend, and sent them a copy of the Honest John article which shows the RX running Range Rovers a close second in the theft stats.

• Like 1

I agree it does need many voices to get something done and quicker.  How about someone drafting a letter/email that can be templated and sent by anyone who wants to push back?  Or a petition?

Just heard back from Lexus in response to my  email over the weekend. They are assuring me that things are moving towards a programme of remedial action and have advised that the police have seized a load of equipment used for the CAN BUS thefts in the London area.

Also they have stated that the new RX/RZ is on a different platform with different software so should not be as vulnerable. 

How quickly this translates  into positive action for us I cannot say.

I will keep in contact with Lexus.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Same thing happened to me in North London at midnight 2 days ago. Luckily(?) car alarm went off, my son saw 3 men walking away. Front wing panel and wheelarch trim were pulled out at the passenger side and headlight electronic cable was dangling out side of car.

Lexus clicked everything back into place but the wheel arch is a bit mid-shaped. 
dealer told me this cam bus method of breaking in is quite common. They knew all about it and asked me if headlight cable was out when I first told them that the wing had been pulled out. They mentioned a few cases from previous couple of weeks.

They also said they were hoping for a recall for a software upgrade.

I definitely think Lexus have to do something. In meantime I’ll continue to use the steering lock (I had it on the night of the theft but not sure if the thieves did not see it or were confident they could overcome it. It’s a big yellow Elite STOPLOCK). Have also started parking it right up against my drive wall to make it difficult for thieves to pull out the front wing.

Hurry up Lexus and fix this security issue! 

6171D7D6-656A-498D-8944-EB05DDB27C17.jpeg

A74B7485-FFD9-4670-82B6-73C18AB5908C.jpeg

1 hour ago, JohnnyC said:

Unfortunately I suspect that a simple software upgrade solution is not possible, as I think Lexus would be pursuing this rather than the metal protection cover as it would be much cheaper for them to develop and roll out en-mass.

Glad that your car was not stolen at least.

2 hours ago, Spock66 said:

Unfortunately I suspect that a simple software upgrade solution is not possible, as I think Lexus would be pursuing this rather than the metal protection cover as it would be much cheaper for them to develop and roll out en-mass.

Glad that your car was not stolen at least.

A software solution would be more costly to implement than putting metal protection. You have consider the software build, testing, rollout and management. I am a software developer, and trying to maintain software product cycles are a nightmare. The cab bus hack unfortunately is due to not having any security encryption, so it’s like surfing on an open internet connection. 
Toyota as a car manufacturer that has not fully embraced the new technologies. 

5 hours ago, JohnnyC said:

Same thing happened to me in North London at midnight 2 days ago. Luckily(?) car alarm went off, my son saw 3 men walking away. Front wing panel and wheelarch trim were pulled out at the passenger side and headlight electronic cable was dangling out side of car.

Lexus clicked everything back into place but the wheel arch is a bit mid-shaped. 
dealer told me this cam bus method of breaking in is quite common. They knew all about it and asked me if headlight cable was out when I first told them that the wing had been pulled out. They mentioned a few cases from previous couple of weeks.

I definitely think Lexus have to do something. In meantime I’ll continue to use the steering lock (I had it on the night of the theft but not sure if the thieves did not see it or were confident they could overcome it. It’s a big yellow Elite STOPLOCK). Have also started parking it right up against my drive wall to make it difficult for thieves to pull out the front wing.

Hurry up Lexus and fix this security issue! 

That is pretty much what happened to mine. Also North London but they did not cause as much damage because I managed to catch the F***er in the process.

I am pleased your car was not stolen either.

A blanking plate, which is what Lexus are apparently working on, would at least stop them getting into the wheel arch. I don't think they are able to do a software update due to the way the various busses are set up. Besides the scum bags will still cause all the damage before realising that their equipment may not work.

Let's hope something is done soon.

1 hour ago, Jagman said:

Can this method only be used on the passenger side or on both wheel arches?

Only the left, as that headlight is the master and is controlled via a CAN bus connection back to the ECU. The right light is just a slave which the left controls via wiring that cannot be used to access other vehicle systems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jagman said:

I keep seeing reference to passenger side wheel arch.

Can this method only be used on the passenger side or on both wheel arches?

For what I understand the high beam lights and the open doors are on the same CAN line, which is an issue already. 
Below is a CAN diagram of a RX 300, so still used on the RX 450h.

248DD3D0-DFBF-4886-B5E3-ADBD9551446F.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Slucky said:

Below is a CAN diagram of a RX 300, so still used on the RX 450h.

None of that is CAN. There is some BEAN bus there but most is discrete wiring which isn't an issue. It was around 2016 onwards (depending on specific model) where Toyota changed the lights to use CAN which introduces the method of attack that thieves are targeting - so only the RX series IV.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links