Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Multi storey carparks in danger of collapse.

DavidCM

10 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Only problem then is that 400 cars pay less than 600 cars. Not sure they like that idea.

I have addressed that as well - they have already increased the price 10 times, so losing 30% should not be a problem 😄 

In one of the London multi-storeys car parks I used they still had old sign tucked away on the side, it was pricing from probably 1980's and hour was £0.20, day was £2.40... now £4 hour, £20 day (or rather in 2019 when I was used it). Sure some inflation happened over the time etc. but inflation since 1980s is not 2000% (actually it is about 400% or 4 times). So the fair price today for the parking should be ~£0.80 hour/£9.60 day... in 2019 before this big inflation jump recently it was only 3 times.

So they making the money for sure... even if they reduce the number of parking spaces. 

4 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Out of interest what do you pay in the most expensive garages like say London? Amsterdam at euro 7.50/hr?

That was timely... yeah about the same https://www.enjoytravel.com/en/travel-news/driving/uk-cheapest-and-most-expensive-car-parking-rates

The most expensive I have used was something like ~£48/day, but because it was on company expenses I didn't really car. From my own money I maybe have paid £15 at most... 

• Like 1

I've been wondering about this thread. Collapsing multi storey car parks. Mmmmm I certainly can't remember hearing of this happening. Though I can believe a small percentage were built errrr shall we say by taking short cuts like reduced cement content concrete. That went on a hell of a lot in the 70's 80's and 90's. I know as I was in that industry. 

As for parking charges. A work colleague was Stunned when he and a few others took 2 trucks to our headquarters in Covent Garden Market. A car park next to it. For 24 hours parking how much? Yes you got it £200. Yes £200. Oh and to enter that market is a fiver even if your collecting from there or delivering. 

WTF is going on in this ruddy country? That mayor needs horse drawn and quartering for utter treason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I have addressed that as well - they have already increased the price 10 times, so losing 30% should not be a problem 😄 

In one of the London multi-storeys car parks I used they still had old sign tucked away on the side, it was pricing from probably 1980's and hour was £0.20, day was £2.40... now £4 hour, £20 day (or rather in 2019 when I was used it). Sure some inflation happened over the time etc. but inflation since 1980s is not 2000% (actually it is about 400% or 4 times). So the fair price today for the parking should be ~£0.80 hour/£9.60 day... in 2019 before this big inflation jump recently it was only 3 times.

So they making the money for sure... even if they reduce the number of parking spaces.

You are right.

I was wrong.

Or?

Maybe not.

Your way of calculating is first class, but you forgot one very important factor: Human greed.

The owner of the parking house is calculating that he has 600 places costing a lot of money each, so he may not be happy suddenly to have only 400 costing only 2/3.

1980 prices are useless today.

The question can be asked in another way:

When will we accept less profit?

Answer: Never.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Out of interest what do you pay in the most expensive garages like say London? Amsterdam at euro 7.50/hr?

Here: 2½€ an hour most expensive I have been in.

In the big supermarkets usually 3 first hours are free and then if you have been there more and have bought something just go down and show your receipts and they annull the fee.

In El Corte Ingles you pay with the credit card from the store and if you are regular customer it will cost 0.

Parking on the streets is different, but seldom do that.

Big and very profitable business. In A locations ( city centres, airports ) more profitable than hotelrooms. Almost zero cost, no cleaning, maintenance etc. Buildingcost a fraction of a hotel. M2 profit much better.

11 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Gang you're still struggling to find a BP station near you that will probably be fitted with a hydrogen refill capability when BP produce the hydrogen ....... please please give us all your postcode and one of us will find that likely BP station for you ///  we'll even use google maps to assist I'm sure

You don't have to understand what sadness you're putting us all thru' with your lack of skills here  🙄

We are all terribly keen to help you I'm sure

Best wishes

Malc

Whoever think that hydrogen will never happen must have a few screws loose or maybe have lost the few available.

Billions are invested and companies having that much money to invest in future might not be completely stupid. After all they have made the money to invest.

https://www.hydrogenfuelnews.com/nikola-tre-bev-wattev/8558570/?awt_a=1jpsU&awt_l=IFzTR&awt_m=gCC7TsT9zu5DlsU

https://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=IFzTR&m=gCC7TsT9zu5DlsU&b=CMezjnqcnu809LR751x37w

https://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=IFzTR&m=gCC7TsT9zu5DlsU&b=A2fJI60SLxmzELVaCoT3lA

https://www.hydrogenfuelnews.com/zero-emission-plane-zeroavia/8558545/?awt_a=1jpsU&awt_l=IFzTR&awt_m=gCC7TsT9zu5DlsU

https://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=IFzTR&m=geHavMo99u5DlsU&b=DiqXIzk.IyoX6.VbvdoJ3A

That may be enough for now.

2 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Your way of calculating is first class, but you forgot one very important factor: Human greed.

The question can be asked in another way:

When will we accept less profit?

Answer: Never.

I am not forgetting that - this is exactly what it is... it is greed, they know there is shortage of parking spaces (deliberately created by stupid government policy) and they know they can charge whatever they like... 

And you know what happens when nobody could afford to park? Then they say "ohhh this parking was abandoned for some unknown reason, let's demolish it, build 100 flats for £2 millions each that nobody could afford in UK and sell them Chinese investors who won't even live there for 1 day per year"... and then circle contunies.

Perhaps they will stop when they will face one of two outcomes:

1. cut the spaces by 30% and accept less profit

2. keep doing what you doing and when the whole thing colipases to the ground be found guilty for corporate manslaughter and go to jail. (ahhh I wish in this country there would be such things as corporate manslaughter... they could not even found anyone at fault for Grenfell Tower, so collapsing car park is non-starter).

But in shot what I am saying - the should shut the fff-up about the weight of the cars. They know what to do and they can do it, or close the parking... no empathy towards them!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

For an overnight in an NCP in Central London recently (Knightsbridge area) we paid £38 (thereabouts anyway, I haven’t got the receipt any more). That was pretty good value, given we were parked for about sixteen hours so less than £2.50 per hour.

That particular (underground) car park had especially wide and long spaces, which was a good job considering the number of very large SUVs in it!

I have a ‘blue badge’ so don’t usually find parking the RX a problem as the disabled spaces are usually nice and wide. I’m not sure I’d like to park it in a ‘normal’ car park space based on the size most of those are!

9 hours ago, Linas.P said:

they know there is shortage of parking spaces (deliberately created by stupid government policy) and they know they can charge whatever they like... 

^^ Government policy around car parking on new developments (business and residential) in the Blair years, with John ‘two Jags’ Prescott presiding, was bonkers.

Their theory was that restricting the number of spaces available would encourage (i.e. force) people to find alternatives to using their cars. Instead, all that happened around business parks was that already crowded residential streets became unofficial car parks! So they brought in ‘permit parking’ schemes for residents - usually at a cost - and the problem simply moved a few streets further away and so on. What they never did was provide proper alternatives, especially for those developments on the edge of towns and cities. It was a recipe for chaos and resentment and lots of people are still living with the consequences.

I looked at a house built in the early 2000s a few years ago when I last moved. On paper it looked ideal. Nice small development, good size houses, large gardens, good area. In addition the price seemed very ‘competitive’ so I knew there had to be a catch…

…when I viewed it, there were actually two catches only one of which is related to this thread (the unrelated was that there were huge trees all over the development, including in gardens, which pre-dated the houses which had been built around them. They were all under strict preservation, which was understandable, but the owners of the properties were fully liable for their upkeep which was potentially expensive and problematic with planning consent being required even to have them pruned when necessary).

Anyway, the related issue was that the access road was narrow, and each 4 or 5 bedroom house only had one driveway space and a single garage which hardly anybody used. Almost every house had at least two cars (some more) and so the road and front gardens were just a nightmare of badly parked cars. I could tell it caused neighbourly tension. Like everybody else I looked elsewhere! 

In comparison, where I eventually bought is a small new build (2020) development of 20 houses. There is lots of space. My house, like the others, has a driveway for 4 cars, a large garage (the 5 bedroom houses have double garages as well) and there are bays around the road for visitors (not that they’re ever needed). Something has clearly changed in planning terms, and for the better imho. Every house has an EV charging point too, and there is also one public one for visitors to use. Very good.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Which is why I keep on asking people to point me in the direction of my nearest hydrogen fuel station.....and it doesn't even have to be a BP one.

Yet no one here seems to be able to, my daughter learnt about the difference between fact and fiction about 12 months ago, she is 7. 

I'm starting to wonder if some on here missed that bit during their education:).

There will by hydro stations no doubt. Lorrys, buses etc. Hydro for powering the industry is already there. Mind, hydro is not and will not be the holy grail for cars otherwise it would have been here already wouldnt it. 

Personally i applaud the development of hydro, ev, bio fuel or whatever and i hope we can respect each others opinion. The development in alternative energy forms is going at warp speed and is very fascinating. Both in Hydro, Batteries and alt fuels. It is not this or that but complementary so lets follow all without getting into a polarized debate that is leading nowhere please. I like the new developments in hydro as regularly posted on here but in thesame time there are Battery developments as well.

And lets not forget where it all starts, coal powered plants, nuclear, wood, gas, fascinating stuff!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Which is why I keep on asking people to point me in the direction of my nearest hydrogen fuel station.....and it doesn't even have to be a BP one.

Yet no one here seems to be able to, my daughter learnt about the difference between fact and fiction about 12 months ago, she is 7. 

I'm starting to wonder if some on here missed that bit during their education:).

Here's a map of them Gang:

https://www.glpautogas.info/data/hydrogen-stations-map-united-kingdom.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2023 at 11:02 PM, Jgtcracer said:

don’t you miss the noise of a good ICE car?  I must say that the sensory aspect of driving is really important to my experience……

The rest of the driving experience more than makes up for it. It feels astonishing to be able to go so fast in near silence (mine will do 0-60 in about 3.7s as its a 3 LR + acceleration boost option). Loads of torque, instant response, linear accelaration and if the EV has one pedal driving then it slows naturally and quickly too. Mine has front and rear motors so AWD and with the Battery low down and fairly stiff suspension sticks and handles well.

3 hours ago, javadude said:

It feels astonishing to be able to go so fast in near silence 

Isn't that redundant and exactly opposite of what you would want nowadays? i.e. to enjoy car which is load even when going slow, so that you can feel "excitement" whilst still doing legal speeds? Because what I found an issue in many modern cars, even performance ones is that they are way too fast to enjoy and to keep the license (and yes this is coming from person who said IS300h is too slow and sluggish). I mean to enjoy any of more modern performance cars one has to be doing like 100MPH... which is basically jail time in our retarded society. Take for example older car - something like BMW E46 M3 or ideally E30 M3 (if you can afford it) and they will make a lot of noise whilst still doing 35MPH. I found naturally aspirated cars being better for that as well... as you can still rev to like 7000RPM in 2nd and be below 50MPH... new turbo-charged ones have to be at much lower RPM and in 4th already doing 100MPH by the time it gets even little bit exciting... So EV sounds like opposite of fun here - silent speed is only good if you looking to lose your license. 

perhaps a sad but simple disadvantage of the silence of the EV

We we're in Bremen a few years back, in the town centre visiting from a cruise ship .....  and a Gang of ducks trotting around totally oblivious to the non-sound of a huge BMW EV that simply CRUSHED one or two of their party to death 

Oh the blessed silence of the EV eh !   ( crushing a Gang too 🥶 )

Malc

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

perhaps a sad but simple disadvantage of the silence of the EV

We we're in Bremen a few years back, in the town centre visiting from a cruise ship .....  and a Gang of ducks trotting around totally oblivious to the non-sound of a huge BMW EV that simply CRUSHED one or two of their party to death 

Oh the blessed silence of the EV eh !   ( crushing a Gang too 🥶 )

Malc

I’ve experienced issues at low speeds in my hybrid when running only on electric power.

It wasn’t duck murder in my case, but in car parks you have to be careful as people simply don’t hear you coming. On one occasion a jogger on the pavement (running in the same direction as I was travelling) simply ran across the road in front of me. I was only doing about 20-30mph and was aware of her. Fair to say it shocked her when she realised there was a huge RX behind her!

I have become even more aware of these types of potential hazards, and as long as both drivers and pedestrians follow the accepted rules and take care we should all be ok. Wildlife on the other hand is a bit trickier…

• Like 1

The latest models, l believe, all have pedestrian alert sounds that come on when moving under electric power only.

Doesn't help when the pedestrian is wearing noise cancelling ear buds though!

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

The latest models, l believe, all have pedestrian alert sounds that come on when moving under electric power only.

Doesn't help when the pedestrian is wearing noise cancelling ear buds though!

The one we have is not one of the latest. No noise when just starting or driving slowly.

Here it is in to wear the big ear warmers covering the ears, though it absolutely is warm enough without.

image.thumb.png.6f15032722812de67abc8589ab3fabc8.png

Each to his own, but I’ve never quite understood why anyone driving on public roads and not a racetrack should want to suffer poorly filtered ICE noises rather than bask in the barely audible purr that traditionally typifies most Lexus models regardless of their power source.  The noises made by ICEs do not exist in Nature and, as such, are to be deemed alien to human ears, a principle well understood by Lexus engineers.

• Like 3

On 5/7/2023 at 4:26 PM, Rabbers said:

Each to his own, but I’ve never quite understood why anyone driving on public roads and not a racetrack should want to suffer poorly filtered ICE noises rather than bask in the barely audible purr that traditionally typifies most Lexus models regardless of their power source.  The noises made by ICEs do not exist in Nature and, as such, are to be deemed alien to human ears, a principle well understood by Lexus engineers.

🤔

• Like 2

That film clip brings back memories of shredding the rear n/s tyre down to the canvas on a BMW 325,going to my space on the 5th floor of multi storey.I didn't pay for my tyres then...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrettMRC said:

🤔

Brett, the video put me right off the LC500 … (I’m joking, of course) … Does it sound like that from inside the cabin too?  I mean with the windows closed.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links