Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My dad and husband have been trying to fix my car's caliper today but it's well and truly siezed and isn't budging. I need to bit the bullet and get a new one - tried looking on the internet for refurbed ones, but it's not clear if they are just second hand (so no idea of mileage they've done etc) or refurbished...

Does anyone know a rough price I can expect to pay from Lexus? I need to get this sorted asap! :duh:

Claire, I'd say you would need to be prepared for a shock at the price of a new one from Lexus :ohmy:

Remeber that the IS200/IS300/Altezza calipers are the same as the GS so I would look for one from a low mileage IS200 in a breakers yard which should be easy enough to find plus it wouldn't have received the same punishment on the manual IS200 as it would have on the auto GS300 which rely on the brakes much more.

There was a post a while back with a breakers yard which had a 2003 low mileage IS200 Sport, I will try and dig it out for you...

Thanks for all the tips guys, I'll follow them up.

Steve, tried Swift with no luck unfortunately.

you might be better off to bite the bullet and visit your local dealership, I know it will hurt :lol: but its peace of mind at the end of the day :winky:

Claire, I'd say you would need to be prepared for a shock at the price of a new one from Lexus  :ohmy:

Remeber that the IS200/IS300/Altezza calipers are the same as the GS so I would look for one from a low mileage IS200 in a breakers yard which should be easy enough to find plus it wouldn't have received the same punishment on the manual IS200 as it would have on the auto GS300 which rely on the brakes much more.

There was a post a while back with a breakers yard which had a 2003 low mileage IS200 Sport, I will try and dig it out for you...

Are you sure they are exectly the same? I thought I read a post stating the mounting are slightly different between the IS and GS?

The GS mark2 front calipers have the same mounting as the Supra JZA80 2-pot calipers or the Aristo/GS Mark1.

Would the actual caliper on the MK2 GS not be the same as the IS? Is it not just the carrier thats different?

I know its pricey but having Lexus do the job would give you good peace of mind, i just paid out £2000 for a brake master cylinder.........it needed doing, second hand and refurbed stuff is a bit of a gamble IMAO :)

Claire - Silverlake are only 15 mins down the road from me - if you need anything look at there PM me - Andy.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

GALLA_4, thanks for all your help too, and sorry that I can't take the calipers off your hands - Lexus confirmed they won't fit the GS.

I know some of you have said get it done through Lexus for peace of mind, but I've been able to have peace of mind slightly cheaper!!! Have got a caliper, discs and pads ordered from Pro-Lex at a shade under £230 the lot. Just spoken to the trusty mechanic I use and he's going to do the work for me (incl. an oil change to boot) for @£70 + VAT.

and breathe. Phew!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links