Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Surely This Can't Be Right

xdeity

last night on my way home from work one of my colleagues pulled up along side of me. he drives a 1.2 corsa, bog standard thing on an 02 plate (i think). just messing about i raced him from the line. i am in a 2.0 is200se with 153 bhp and he out accelerated me, in fact he left me standing. i know my car is much heavier, but i drive the odd corsa at work and they are rubbish at acceleration.

can this be right, i know the is200 is no speedster, in fact its performance is somewhat underpowered, but this!!!!!

could there be something wrong with my car, i know nothing about engines, but i have doe a lot of driver training and am quite aware how to get a car to accelerate to its best potential, so i can't understand how this could happen without there being something wrong.

its not as if the car has been ragged, it only has 17000 on the clock and was owned by an elderly gent before me who only did 15000 in three years.

i put some redex stuff in it recently just to make sure i was gettin the most out of the engine, doesn't look like that worked does it.

any ideas, or maybe someone to tell me that the car is ok is always gonna get trounced by a 1.2 corsa. in fact if that is the case i might get rid of the IS and go get me a 1.4 corsa speed machine :duh:

he had me up to about 60mph and was WAY in front when we had to slow down. i thought it took off pretty quick, as fast as i have known it to go. checked with my mate, it is just a bog standard car with 60000 miles on it.

the corsa pulled away from me in everything upto 4th gear and then we had to slow.

gutted that the car i always wanted is so slow its not even upto small hatchback standard. i could unterstand it if it was a corsa vxr or golf gti, but this is ridiculous

It's right!!! :tomato:

I got beat from the line by what looked like a Peugeot 106 GTi... haven't seen many of these cars about, but it was seriously quick... Mind you, they start with 160bhp anyway. :yawn:

I've been beaten by so many cars, i don't bother to try anymore, i just "cruise" :D B)

I got beat from the line by what looked like a Peugeot 106 GTi... haven't seen many of these cars about, but it was seriously quick... Mind you, they start with 160bhp anyway. :yawn:

I've been beaten by so many cars, i don't bother to try anymore, i just "cruise" :D B)

there is a big difference between a 160bhp gti car and an 80bhp corsa. i have almost double the bhp. surely this can't be right

as i always say - the faster car comes down to the driver a lot more often than the car...

as i said, i am well aware of how to get the best out of a car, i have been trained to drive at high speed

im assuming u have the manual? specs for the corsa are 0-60 of 12 secs, manual IS200 is 9.5, auto is 11.2

sounds like an issue with your car not performing..

personally, i've never had a problem blitzing a corsa. the GS has the advantage of short gearing on the auto box..heheh

Sure cant be right. Did you say you bought the car from an elderly gent? The car hasn't been put to test. I notice from when I had the IS that it was slow to pick up speed but once it picks up, you need an ABS to stop it

i bought the car from a lexus dealer in bolton and they gave me a 12 month warrantee, do you think something like this would be covered, as there appears to be a lack of power or something that is causing this, would they do the checks for free.

could this be something like a spark plug not working or something, i know nothing about engines, just looking for a reason

there is a big difference between a 160bhp gti car and an 80bhp corsa. i have almost double the bhp. surely this can't be right

as i always say - the faster car comes down to the driver a lot more often than the car...

as i said, i am well aware of how to get the best out of a car, i have been trained to drive at high speed

Now I can't be 100% sure but I bought my car with the same type of use. 21,000 miles in 4 years, elderly driver. Thought it should be faster and wasn't happy with the MPG at all (was getting around 22mpg on 90% motorway use).

I reset the ECU by pulling the fuse for a minute. After about 3 or 4 days I am sure the car felt faster and the MPG definitely went up to around 27mpg.

These cars do learn from the driver and will set themselves up to suit. I assume after that many years crawling around on short journeys make it a bit lazy and thirsty.

Try a reset.

GIt's are 120bhp. 7.7 to sixty. which is the same apparently as a supercharged IS200

But at the end of the day your in a Lexus, the Corsa's still a Vauxhall. I know what i'd rather be in.

Now I can't be 100% sure but I bought my car with the same type of use. 21,000 miles in 4 years, elderly driver. Thought it should be faster and wasn't happy with the MPG at all (was getting around 22mpg on 90% motorway use).

I reset the ECU by pulling the fuse for a minute. After about 3 or 4 days I am sure the car felt faster and the MPG definitely went up to around 27mpg.

These cars do learn from the driver and will set themselves up to suit. I assume after that many years crawling around on short journeys make it a bit lazy and thirsty.

Try a reset.

hi mate, how do i go about finding the fuse for the ECU, like i said i know nothing about engines. cheers

:shifty:

I find that my lexy is pretty slow unless I get the revs right, she really starts to move around 3500/4000 rpm, and keeping her in that area through the gears prevents her from being embarrased by most young pretenders.

Took me a while to sort it, but now us two ladies make a lovely pair !

:shifty:

I find that my lexy is pretty slow unless I get the revs right, she really starts to move around 3500/4000 rpm, and keeping her in that area through the gears prevents her from being embarrased by most young pretenders.

Took me a while to sort it, but now us two ladies make a lovely pair !

thats the vvti power band i beleive, love the increased torque when it hits about 4500rpm :D

i know this is gonna sound silly but do you have the "SNOW" setting activated?

this restricts your ability rev the car hard, supposidly to aid traction in the snow... personaly i think its as good as a chocolate fire guard.

but it could still slow you down

hi, thanks for the replies, gonna go disconnect the Battery in a minute, will let you know if it makes any difference.

TheDon, i have checked and the snow setting is off, so can't be that, thx anyway

P38, the traction control is on, will find a boy racer to test whether it being off makes any diff

PureSilk, what could you do to the car, what would it cost and would it affect my insurance.

i wasn't aware of the VVTi powerband, i will give it some thought while driving and see if it makes any difference.

and if none of that works i will have to take it in to lexus and see if they can fix it

Adie, i seriously doubt i could afford a turbo kit, or the jump in insurance on the car (i am presuming it would affect my insurance) and then there would be the cost of gettin it fitted. cheers anyway though, i would really like one, maybe for christmas hint hint :)

You weren't aware of the powerband?

So where abouts did you change gear?

To get the most of the IS you want to keep the revs above 4000k all the time, and rev it all the way up to the redline, around 6250, although I found that changing in first at 6200 resulted in a good change and then the rest of the gears a change at between 5500 and 6000k resulted in smooth transitions between the higher gears...

If you're changing before that the car will be very slow indeed!

yeah i wasnt aware of the powerband on a vvti and wasn't looking at the revs. i just listen for the engine peaking and keep my eyes on the road. i have reset the ecu, doesn't seem to be any faster, but havn't tested it against a boy racer yet.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links