Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel panic!

Mincey

44 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Back on planet Zogg,

issue now is that no-one has any idea who's ripping us off with prices

oils UP generally I'm guessing, Sterling is all over the place and oil in US$ makes it all challenging to understand

No idea here on best value for money supermarket fuel .......  i guess NONE to be fair

I'm refilling when I need to now and doing my day to day shopping in a non-petrol retailer ......  e.g

ALDI and LIDL

fed up being taken for a ride by those supermarkets retailing fuel

Malc

13 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

You are not allowed say nothing are you - that’s Irony for you!

apple Color Emoji, Segoe UI Emoji, Segoe UI Symbol">Actually, I’m not sure it is.

apple Color Emoji, Segoe UI Emoji, Segoe UI Symbol">I’m sure you are allowed to say nothing. In fact, I expect there are occasions when it’s positively encouraged.

apple Color Emoji, Segoe UI Emoji, Segoe UI Symbol">Be that as it may, I was more intrigued by your claim regarding your CDC data. I don’t know what it was or why it was deleted, but I presume that you regard it – rightly – as an authoritative source. On that basis, I’m sure you will welcome more detail as to the CDC's conclusions.

apple Color Emoji, Segoe UI Emoji, Segoe UI Symbol">For the sake of those less interested - and for whom this is a tedious diversion from panicking about fuel costs - I think Eric is referring to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. As the spelling suggests, this is a US Government resource for the collation and analysis of health-related data. Naturally, it’s been rather preoccupied with Covid-19 recently.

apple Color Emoji, Segoe UI Emoji, Segoe UI Symbol">So vast and detailed is its scope that it is virtually impossible to extract the odd statistic and present it – without context – as being meaningful. But that is a favourite ploy of, for example, anti-vaccination conspiracists - and possibly why it was deleted?

apple Color Emoji, Segoe UI Emoji, Segoe UI Symbol">I was going to list some of the many documents and updates that populate this resource, but frankly anyone who’s interested could start from this page and then discover the rest for themselves.

apple Color Emoji, Segoe UI Emoji, Segoe UI Symbol">COVID-19 Vaccines Work | CDC

apple Color Emoji, Segoe UI Emoji, Segoe UI Symbol">The fundamental position of the CDC – which Eric rightly sets such store by – is:

apple Color Emoji, Segoe UI Emoji, Segoe UI Symbol">Vaccines reduce the risk of COVID-19, including the risk of severe illness and death among people who are fully vaccinated. In addition to data from clinical trials, evidence from real-world vaccine effectiveness studies show that COVID-19 vaccines help protect against COVID-19 infections, with or without symptoms (asymptomatic infections). 

The CDC Recommends

• Everyone ages 6 months and older should get a COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they can.

• To get the most protection, get all recommended doses of a COVID-19 vaccine. Take all precautions until you are up to date with your COVID-19 vaccinations.

• For the best protection, everyone 6 months and older is recommended to stay up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines, which includes getting boosters if eligible.

The other section I would suggest as being particularly relevant is headed ‘Myths and Facts about Covid-19 Vaccines’. The title is self-explanatory.

apple Color Emoji, Segoe UI Emoji, Segoe UI Symbol">Myths and Facts about COVID-19 Vaccines | CDC

apple Color Emoji, Segoe UI Emoji, Segoe UI Symbol">I’m sure, Eric, there’s enough here in this section alone – from a source that you yourself regard as authoritative - to reassure you as to the effectiveness and safety of Vaccines.

apple Color Emoji, Segoe UI Emoji, Segoe UI Symbol">Or am I just being ironic?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Strange goings on in Reading (Calcot). For the past few months the Sainsbury store and the nearby BP have matched each other for petrol price, with the BP often a penny or two cheaper.

Today, Sainsbury is at £1.54 for unleaded. BP has INCREASED its price to £1.62!

Strange…🤔

• Confused 2

On 10/10/2022 at 12:19 PM, LenT said:

Or am I just being ironic?

I’m a bit confused by the whole definition of an ‘expert.’ Accepting this is but a poor imitation of Sir Humphrey, but…

We’re told that we shouldn’t trust ‘experts.’ However, the person telling us not to trust ‘experts’ post things that imply that - although we shouldn’t trust ‘experts’ - that he was (by implication) an ‘expert’ who we SHOULD listen to.

My question is simple. Which ‘experts’ should we listen to and trust, and which ‘experts’ should we ignore? And what is the definition of an expert? Is it somebody with either educational or experiential credibility (let’s call them ‘ the establishment ‘ ) or is it somebody who claims that we shouldn’t trust ‘experts’ whilst presenting themselves as an ‘expert.’ 

Answers on a postcard…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Answers on a postcard…

Me................... I'm a formidable Expert in absolutely bugger all

my expertise is second to none and I doubt anyone could be better expert at this than me

I profess to be an Expert in nowt

Malc

NOW please to the fuel panic issues 

The current fuel panic situation in the UK is nothing to complain about really. Whining about prices does mean its available isnt it.

France has real fuel panic!! 

https://news.sky.com/story/third-of-petrol-stations-out-of-fuel-in-france-as-strikes-continue-12717708

On the other topic of experts dont even think of trying it will not work. Some people think they posess the only truth and will never ever see the other side, its fanatically religious nothing more. Just let them be happy in their own bubble.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

I’m a bit confused by the whole definition of an ‘expert.’ Accepting this is but a poor imitation of Sir Humphrey, but…

We’re told that we shouldn’t trust ‘experts.’ However, the person telling us not to trust ‘experts’ post things that imply that - although we shouldn’t trust ‘experts’ - that he was (by implication) an ‘expert’ who we SHOULD listen to.

My question is simple. Which ‘experts’ should we listen to and trust, and which ‘experts’ should we ignore? And what is the definition of an expert? Is it somebody with either educational or experiential credibility (let’s call them ‘ the establishment ‘ ) or is it somebody who claims that we shouldn’t trust ‘experts’ whilst presenting themselves as an ‘expert.’ 

Answers on a postcard…

‘Experts’ are the people you have been reading about since way back in 2019 with headline news - they are NGOs funded by third parties so the only narrative you will hear is information they WANT you to know - they won’t say combustion engine cars in the UK contribute less than 1 percent of emissions worldwide – oh no, that is not what they are about.

The net zero nonsense is nothing more than drivel used to accelerate the demise of the combustion engine car and also accelerate grown of EVs. They have been telling us 3 thousand died from the summer weather also - propaganda is all that is wrong with the world right now

The eco mob types are just plain dumb, mostly jobless and just playing along with what they are told

21 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

The current fuel panic situation in the UK is nothing to complain about really. Whining about prices does mean its available isnt it.

France has real fuel panic!! 

https://news.sky.com/story/third-of-petrol-stations-out-of-fuel-in-france-as-strikes-continue-12717708

On the other topic of experts dont even think of trying it will not work. Some people think they posess the only truth and will never ever see the other side, its fanatically religious nothing more. Just let them be happy in their own bubble.

More scaremongering and from Sky – all the main news channels are the same, which is why GB news has a more balanced view point

I bet if I drove to France, I would have no trouble getting petrol – believing everything you read from experts paid off has its downsides but you are too proud to suggest for one moment that its even possible you are getting played here

34 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Me................... I'm a formidable Expert in absolutely bugger all

my expertise is second to none and I doubt anyone could be better expert at this than me

I profess to be an Expert in nowt

Malc

NOW please to the fuel panic issues 

So on the Fuel Panic issue - while my local Tesco is charging 149.9 for E10, it is charging 175.9 for diesel.

That is the largest difference I have ever seen between the petrol and diesel price - 26p!!! (per litre)

How can that be justified? Makes you think someone is trying to price diesel drivers off the road. ☹️ 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moleman said:

So on the Fuel Panic issue - while my local Tesco is charging 149.9 for E10, it is charging 175.9 for diesel.

That is the largest difference I have ever seen between the petrol and diesel price - 26p!!! (per litre)

How can that be justified? Makes you think someone is trying to price diesel drivers off the road. ☹️ 

Diesel has always been more expensive over petrol tbf, maybe not almost 30p but it was always 15p or so more expensive /L

23 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Please do Toffee and let us know how you get on wont you.

Similar to the fuel crisis here that seemed to go on forever here but I had no trouble getting petrol, remove the scaremongering, idiots filling up detergent bottles and what not and you will find it was only made worse by the sheep mentality that we first seen during the hoarding crisis, pasta and bogroll and canned goods – the world is ending.

Fuel shortages prompted by strikes are affecting around one in five gas stations in France as of Oct. 8. According to the Energy Ministry, while most fuel stations are operating as normal at least 19 percent of fuel stations were facing shortages of at least one type of fuel

This crisis is because of the French Government -- The Government, isn’t it always…

On 10/10/2022 at 12:19 PM, LenT said:

Actually, I’m not sure it is.

I’m sure you are allowed to say nothing. In fact, I expect there are occasions when it’s positively encouraged.

Be that as it may, I was more intrigued by your claim regarding your CDC data. I don’t know what it was or why it was deleted, but I presume that you regard it – rightly – as an authoritative source. On that basis, I’m sure you will welcome more detail as to the CDC's conclusions.

For the sake of those less interested - and for whom this is a tedious diversion from panicking about fuel costs - I think Eric is referring to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. As the spelling suggests, this is a US Government resource for the collation and analysis of health-related data. Naturally, it’s been rather preoccupied with Covid-19 recently.

So vast and detailed is its scope that it is virtually impossible to extract the odd statistic and present it – without context – as being meaningful. But that is a favourite ploy of, for example, anti-vaccination conspiracists - and possibly why it was deleted?

I was going to list some of the many documents and updates that populate this resource, but frankly anyone who’s interested could start from this page and then discover the rest for themselves.

COVID-19 Vaccines Work | CDC

The fundamental position of the CDC – which Eric rightly sets such store by – is:

Vaccines reduce the risk of COVID-19, including the risk of severe illness and death among people who are fully vaccinated. In addition to data from clinical trials, evidence from real-world vaccine effectiveness studies show that COVID-19 vaccines help protect against COVID-19 infections, with or without symptoms (asymptomatic infections). 

The CDC Recommends

• Everyone ages 6 months and older should get a COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they can.

• To get the most protection, get all recommended doses of a COVID-19 vaccine. Take all precautions until you are up to date with your COVID-19 vaccinations.

• For the best protection, everyone 6 months and older is recommended to stay up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines, which includes getting boosters if eligible.

The other section I would suggest as being particularly relevant is headed ‘Myths and Facts about Covid-19 Vaccines’. The title is self-explanatory.

Myths and Facts about COVID-19 Vaccines | CDC

I’m sure, Eric, there’s enough here in this section alone – from a source that you yourself regard as authoritative - to reassure you as to the effectiveness and safety of Vaccines.

Or am I just being ironic?

Joe Biden said the vaccines cure covid 19 -- from sickness, infection and death none the less  -he probably won’t remember saying it now but he did.

We have been fed lies upon lies about covid, so much so that its next to impossible to interpret the data but sufficient to say you probably believe the 'experts' when they said 3 thousand people in England died from the summer weather - they will no doubt blame the thousand plus excess deaths we are seeing from a new wave, or the cold weather, whichever comes first.

The data I posted, which was from the CDC and removed said that the flu vaccine was responsible for 38 deaths a year from 1996 to 2021 - Covid vaccines 4812 deaths in six months.

Now, back to the excess deaths of 1 thousand plus a week.. 

diesel is rising faster in price than petrol due to increase in demand and decrease in supply. Industry is changing over from gas powered generators to diesel and diesel from russia has dried up creating an inbalanced market. 

25 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

It was cheaper in UK too for a while. He is mistaken, me thinks.

Anywhere I ever visited - which is quite frequent,i  always seem to remember diesel is more expensive - this is mainly SE England so it could be a regional thing, who the heck knows as with fuel prices anything goes

downoad rhw petrol app and comare petrol and diesel, diesel is always marked up in cost here anyway - *had a look at Liverpool and Manchester and petrol cheaper, same as down here - 20p or so per litre

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

diesel is rising faster in price than petrol due to increase in demand and decrease in supply. Industry is changing over from gas powered generators to diesel and diesel from russia has dried up creating an inbalanced market. 

Diesel exists outside of Russia - < 13% of oil and petroleum from Russia ends up in the UK.

8 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

Diesel exists outside of Russia - < 13% of oil and petroleum from Russia ends up in the UK.

That was the case until beginning this year. Since the Russian invasion imports have declined rapidly in preparation for a European import ban as from jan. of course russian diesel can be sold to for instance china or india that in turn ships it to the uk but the direct free flow of product is gone. Also Russian production has fallen and keeps falling as major oil companies have ceased operations.  

methinks the sooner diesel vehicles are totally banned in the UK the better ( maybe I jest, maybe not )......  jeez, on my way down to Devon yesterday on hols .  from Kent ......  there's still plenty of landrovers and other monster diesel cars / SUVs chucking out copious noxious smoke  

whereas my baby seemed a blessing on the road, no fuel nor noise pollution either ............  hate to think what the traffic would be like in the summer holiday times ............ 

and to think back in the '50s and 60's my parents drove us down to even Cornwall on what now seems tiny roads 

Upper diesel and even petrol prices are probably simply a local factor of the fuel station tanks not yet being refilled at whatever the changing supply price is ...  or was 

I give up with worrying about the price of petrol now I'm just resigned to filling up where I'm passing at the best value and hopefully not being ripped off

I know, like many on here that I'm so fortunate not to have to worry about whatever prices

Malc

On 10/10/2022 at 11:36 AM, Malc1 said:

No idea here on best value for money supermarket fuel .......  i guess NONE to be fair

Malc

Petrolprices.com

Been on it for years

12 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

Anywhere I ever visited - which is quite frequent,i  always seem to remember diesel is more expensive - this is mainly SE England so it could be a regional thing, who the heck knows as with fuel prices anything goes

downoad rhw petrol app and comare petrol and diesel, diesel is always marked up in cost here anyway - *had a look at Liverpool and Manchester and petrol cheaper, same as down here - 20p or so per litre

Google says Eric,

"Records show that the last time diesel was cheaper than petrol was in 2001 – priced at a modest 77.92p per litre, with petrol at 77.94p per litre on average. Diesel prices rose within the last decade due to a high uptake of diesel vehicles and slow improvements in UK diesel refining capacity."

5 minutes ago, Boxbrownie said:

Petrolprices.com

Been on it for years

I use this regularly to keep an eye on prices since around my way they can vary by 15p+ a litre in just a few miles! It's updated by the public and so works well for areas where there are a lot of drivers filling up cars/vans but it can get out of date by a few days or more in sparsely populated locations. Well worth a look though and there is an app too that makes reviewing prices very easy on the go - not just your local area but anywhere you may be visiting.

3 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Google says Eric,

"Records show that the last time diesel was cheaper than petrol was in 2001 – priced at a modest 77.92p per litre, with petrol at 77.94p per litre on average. Diesel prices rose within the last decade due to a high uptake of diesel vehicles and slow improvements in UK diesel refining capacity."

I don't know about Google, only from my visits to the dozens of shell outlets I have frequented in the previous years past, I always seem to notice diesel more expensive but took no notice as I never use it, even using the diesel fuel pump on a hire car once was an unpleasant experience, smelly and dirty.

Going back to Japan, and my previous comments. It's rank diesel and industrial fuels that are polluting the air, it's why Tokyo's air is so much better than other mega cities. Diesel is a nasty fuel, cancerous at that and lying governments said this stuff that belches out black soot is great for the environment and everyone went to buy them

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links