Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lane Keeping Assist

Can I ask what people think of the Lane Keeping Assist?

Does it keep you central in the lane (UK roads) or do you find it likes to hold closer to the edge of the lane?

It doesn't do either of those.

If you wander over a line without indicating first, it vibrates the steering wheel as a warning - feels similar to the vibration of a mobile phone.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sybaris said:

Whats the thing that holds you in the lane and you can keep your hands off the wheel for 10 seconds ? Lane trace or something?

I've not heard of it, but I know I wouldn't want it. It sounds dangerous to me...

• Like 1

Depends on how you use it.

If its turned on without radar cruise control, itll just vibrate the steering wheel

If you turn radar cruise control on, itll keep the vehicle in lane. I tend to rest my thigh on the steering wheel or hold it very lightly. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, rayaans said:

If you turn radar cruise control on, itll keep the vehicle in lane. I tend to rest my thigh on the steering wheel or hold it very lightly. 

Second this, if turned onto max setting the automatic movement of the steering wheel is quite harsh and a surprise when it happens for the first time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sybaris said:

Whats the thing that holds you in the lane and you can keep your hands off the wheel for 10 seconds ? Lane trace or something?

My RX does this, i.e. keeps you in the lane rather than just vibrating as my NX did.

I like it, but only on a long motorway trip. It can be caught out in roadworks if they haven’t blanked out the previous road markings so you do need to keep concentrating!

I find mine keeps the car more or less in the centre of the lane, probably marginally towards the left hand side.

Personally I never use it.

Whilst I am ok using Cruise Control on long journeys as a driver aid I think a steering aid is a step too far. If you can't steer a car and maintain correct lane position I don't think you should be driving a car.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

Depends on how you use it.

If its turned on without radar cruise control, itll just vibrate the steering wheel

I didn't know that, cheers.

I'll never use it but it's good to know about it.

• Like 1

Do not know it the CT has that, and if so it is not turned on in our car. No vibration when changing lane, never felt that the car wanted to stay in a lane,  but when changing lane the car beeps, when a car come in to the lane we are on close to our car, it beeps, when there is a radar speed trap ahead of us it beeps and sometimes it beeps without I can see any reason for it.

Thought about finding out where to cut off the sound as it does little good, but then again it would help keeping attention on longer tours so never bothered to find out where to change setting if even at all possible.

54 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Do not know it the CT has that, and if so it is not turned on in our car. No vibration when changing lane, never felt that the car wanted to stay in a lane, 

My CT does John, has three settings and at the Max setting it will move the steering wheel automatically to keep you in lane.

Used it at first, found I did not like it. Turned it off.

59 minutes ago, Moleman said:

My CT does John, has three settings and at the Max setting it will move the steering wheel automatically to keep you in lane.

Used it at first, found I did not like it. Turned it off.

Where in the settings did you turn it off. I have not found anything like that in settings. Not that I am going to activate it as, like you, it is not for me.

8 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Where in the settings did you turn it off. I have not found anything like that in settings. Not that I am going to activate it as, like you, it is not for me.

Press the LDA switch to turn the LDA
system on.
The LDA indicator illuminates and a
message is displayed on the multi-information
display.
Press the LDA switch again to turn the
LDA system off.
When the LDA system is turned on or
off, operation of the LDA system continues
in the same condition the next time
the hybrid system is started.
image.thumb.png.48aa04d3edd63017096fd44e9f6440fe.png

Steering control function
When the system determines that
the vehicle might depart from its
lane, the system provides assistance
as necessary by operating the steering
wheel in small amounts for a
short period of time to keep the
vehicle in its lane.

LDA indicator
The illumination condition of the
indicator informs the driver of the
system operation status.
Illuminated in white:
LDA system is operating.
Illuminated in green:
Steering wheel assistance of the steering
control function is operating.
Flashing in orange:
Lane departure alert function is operating.
Operation display of steering wheel
operation support
Indicates that steering wheel assistance of the steering control function is
operating.
Lane departure alert function display
Displayed when the multi-information display is switched to the driving assist
system information screen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have LKA switched on all the time (and find it especially useful on motorway journeys with the adaptive cruise control enabled), but I disable it when driving on narrow country roads, where occasionally I will pass over the central dashed road lines. For some reason, the noise of the vibration reminds me of a quacking duck, but maybe that's just me! 😄

• Haha 1

I too use the LDA only on the motorway, where I turn it on almost as a reflex action together with the ACC. When I first had the LDA on the 2016 RC I used it also on normal roads mainly for its novelty value.  It frankly irritated the hell out of me until a sudden attack of humility caused me to acknowledge that not keeping to my lane was a symptom of slovenly road discipline.  So I then decided to use the LDA as a self-shaming device whereby my non-avoidance of the vibration served as a slap on the wrist.   I don’t know if this “training” has proved effective in the longer term since I now use the function only rarely, but I think it might have helped me a little. 

I've got inbuilt LKAS on my Honda Legend 2006 .....  it's good to read this stuff on here ...........  I had no real idea what the feature is for, now i know, I'll probably keep " wondering " and " wandering " as quite honestly i cannot see real merit in getting to grips with this technology that I never realised i had, to have and to hold ......  on my super doopa Legend

My dear old Ls400 doesn't of course have this level of ( useless ?? ) technology to actually worry about

BUT it's good to try to understand what is is I'm really missing on my high tech Honda Legend 

I'll keep wondering and wandering .  I promise not to fall asleep over it all whilst driving :unsure:

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links