Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Colonoscopy

PCM

5 minutes ago, rayaans said:

True, but you can't do a PSA on everybody either as it'll show up too many people who end up getting a biopsy or MRI on their prostate.

I mean certain red flags like ejaculating blood would prompt a 2 week wait referral and a reasonably high PSA but other than that its very hard

Yes, I actually already said that earlier in the thread. PSA is no longer an approved NHS screening test, scroll up/page1.

I will just add a couple of comments on aspects that have been raised.

From those posting on this forum, it would seem likely that very few are female and of those that have posted most come because they look for help with a problem and don't participate in general discussion on a wide basis.  I trust those who may just look in from time to time will either ignore this thread or note the essential points if they do follow it.  Actually, PCa is also known as the 'Couples Disease' as it can heavily impact the partner of the affected man.  It is interesting that on the main UK Prostate Cancer  support group we have many ladies who are researching on behalf of partners, family and friends and giving feedback and helping others.  Women are in general much more proactive in this respect and it is often they who push men to make an initial appointment with a partner's GP. (Unfortunately, by the time symptoms are experienced the disease has sometimes been given much of a head start).

Another question which was touched on in this thread is "would it benefit me to have a particular treatment?'  One of the reasons why this is asked is because the person asking the question knows somebody who did well on a treatment thinking that he will work equally well for them. This may well not be the  case so should not be assumed. After diagnosis, a man is normally told the treatment options that are open to him.  This will mean those for which he is suitable (but may exclude certain treatments that a particular hospital cannot offer), so always worth asking consultant if you are suitable for other options that may be available at another facility.  Low or high dose Brachytherapy may be an example.  The individual should then carefully consider the pros and cons of various treatments which they all have including potential side effects before making a treatment decision.  Sometimes the option of Active Surveillance may be suggested for at least a time.  Sometimes a patient may be steered towards one form of treatment but often it is left to the patient to decide.  In more advanced situation the more radical options may be ruled out and more direction offered which will involve more systemic options.

In short, there are many aspects to PCa and it helps to know some of the basics, remembering your options and outcomes benefit from early diagnosis of this very complex disease.  However, as has been said, some men have treatment and suffer consequences of treatment that don't really need it, so is something that needs very careful consideration and hopefully the medical profession will be able to provide better guidance.  

The foregoing is just a basic summarised start to a subject that has concerns so many men and their families.    

• Like 4

16 hours ago, peniole said:

Yes, I actually already said that earlier in the thread. PSA is no longer an approved NHS screening test, scroll up/page1.

I dont think it ever was an approved screening test in the first place was it? Certainly not in my lifetime.

I think Barry has given an excellent posting. PSA testing has never been a serious diagnostic marker for prostate cancer. However, whilst the only current diagnostic is a prostate biopsy (ouch!!). There is some good work being done on less painful diagnostics, so hopefully you will last until then! By the way if you do want a PSA test they are readily available in the NHS by asking your GP.

Back to VSC Lights - I have tried all the laymen or should it be laypersons? Methods of extinguishing this light. Interesting I note that the location of the jumper is different on different posts. Can anybody that has successfully extinguished the light let me know what terminals you used - all I managed was to change the language on my GPS to Japanese!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 3:27 PM, peniole said:

I agree with everything else in your post but this quote. Yes, a biopsy is the gold standard for diagnosing every single cancer, no exceptions. But how do you decide who to biopsy? You can't biopsy the whole population. A biopsy is not a screening test. It is too invasive.

I've just been told I need to have a biopsy, (prostate) under general anaesthetic.

35 minutes ago, PCM said:

I've just been told I need to have a biopsy, (prostate) under general anaesthetic.

Probably the preferred option for all involved, Piers.  Like most GAs you’ll need someone to drive you home afterwards.

All the best with it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PCM said:

Best wishes with it  ....  make sure you wake up to a nice cuppa and a bikkie  :wink3:

Good luck

Call out the chauffeur for the ride home 

Malc

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PCM said:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and that they find nothing of significance 🤞

• Thanks 1

It's quite usual for some some blood to be in your urine for a couple of weeks and sometimes a few weeks more after a biopsy, particularly a Transperineal one  which you appear to be having where more cores can be taken than the TRUS one.  The amount of blood will in part depend on the number of cores taken.  It is also quite usual for blood and sometimes even small clots to be in semen.  This should gradually clear as the Prostate heals.  I mention it as not every man who has a biopsy is told about it and it can cause concern.

I have had two of these, and my tip would be to rather slouch back rather than lean forward when sitting as doing the latter puts extra pressure on the Transperineal area.  You may also find the couple or so days after the day of the biopsy you are somewhat more uncomfortable due to bruising being more evident. Generally, it's a pretty easy procedure.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 9/12/2022 at 3:31 PM, PCM said:

I've just been told

is this way-off and leaving you in suspense somewhat  ............or maybe you're being fast tracked  ( whtever that means these days ) 

Whatever, get out and about in your limo and enjoy this weather ......  fine dry hot and blo-dy wet too maybe :thumbsup:

Malc

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, PCM said:

Thank you, Malc.

Consultant tomorrow and a date to be organised.

Likely late this month or sometime next month.

Piers.

The very best of good fortune to you Piers.

Such times are always a concern, of course, but keep at the forefront of your mind, that at least you and the medical profession are doing something about the issue, and whatever the result of the biopsy, you'll be in a much better position to know 'what's going on', and whether, if another step is necessary, what it should be.

(Inaction never cured a problem)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Illogan said:

The very best of good fortune to you Piers.

(Inaction never cured a problem)

Thank you. And of course, so true!

• 1 month later...

Think of me, tomorrow, 'B Day'. [ Thinking of me is optional. ]

I liken it to sitting on a hedgehog. My Consultant says I'll be walking like John Wayne afterwards.

Hey ho.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, PCM said:

... My Consultant says I'll be walking like John Wayne afterwards ...

I'm guessing he means with your arms hanging straight and loose at the sides so as to be quicker on the draw.  

Stay good, Piers.

• Thanks 1

All the best Piers, hope it goes well mate.

I did a poo test recently and it came back positive for blood in the stool, so on Thursday I've got a telephone consult with someone and then a colonoscopy to look forward to :unsure:

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links