Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

locking wheel nuts

My 350 is being delivered monday. Dealer advises that lexus are no longer supplying locking wheel nuts at all so non will be sent at a later date. 2nd key can be ordered by dealer next month.

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, robby666 said:

My 350 is being delivered monday. Dealer advises that lexus are no longer supplying locking wheel nuts at all so non will be sent at a later date. 2nd key can be ordered by dealer next month.

That’s astonishing!

It’s a petty saving, considering the purchase price - and is the kind of minimal security feature you expect on a ‘luxury’ car.

You could take it up with Lexus just to confirm that this is now their policy.  But frankly, if that was the case, then I would have thought the Dealer would have been bright enough to supply a set anyway, in order to avoid the discussion!

• Like 2

Interesting. Locking wheel nuts are normally taken into consideration when insurance groups are set - I wonder if they would rerate the vehicles.

You obviously ordered the vehicle when they were standard - whilst they can alter the spec you would think the Lexus UK or the dealer would just supply them for in-flight orders.

The website / vehicle brochure and press information still states these are standard:

image.thumb.png.7c774c6cf78f5e3b46710c897d46acd4.png

• Like 5

When I picked my car up 3 weeks agoI was told that the locking wheel nuts would be supplied “later” no date given but told I would need to take car in for them to be fitted.

no wheel brace with 450h and also to ensure correct torque applied 

2 minutes ago, HMT said:

When I picked my car up 3 weeks agoI was told that the locking wheel nuts would be supplied “later” no date given but told I would need to take car in for them to be fitted.

no wheel brace with 450h and also to ensure correct torque applied 

That makes more sense, a temporary component shortage. Although how difficult is it to get some wheel nuts fabricated - Toyota's supply chain really is in a mess. 

29 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Interesting. Locking wheel nuts are normally taken into consideration when insurance groups are set - I wonder if they would rerate the vehicles.

Really, I am surprised at that Colin. Locking wheel nuts are about as much use as a chocolate teapot these days. I removed all 4 in under 5 minutes on my daughter’s Hyundai when she lost the wheel nut key

1 hour ago, LenT said:

That’s astonishing!

It’s a petty saving, considering the purchase price - and is the kind of minimal security feature you expect on a ‘luxury’ car.

You could take it up with Lexus just to confirm that this is now their Policy.  But frankly, if that was the case, then I would have thought the Dealer would have been bright enough to supply a set anyway, in order to avoid the discussion!

Couldn’t agree more….bizarre!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Locking wheel nuts were always a dealer, or at least post assembly, fit. Personally I wouldn't bother these days 

I bought a set of locking wheel nuts (Toyota brand for Lexus) about twenty years ago for my first Lexus, an IS200, and have transferred them from one car to the next six times thereafter.  Frankly they have become something of an annoyance with every seasonal change of tyres, but although I keep intending to discard them I continue not to.  Something to do with superstition perhaps.

• Like 1

I've just taken delivery of an NX350H, and due to the current lack of locking wheel nuts (as others have mentioned), was planning on keeping those I had on my previous ES, until the dealership pointed out the NX has bolts, not nuts. So I'm also waiting till Lexus can supply some.

12 hours ago, RXtoNX said:

Really, I am surprised at that Colin. Locking wheel nuts are about as much use as a chocolate teapot these days. I removed all 4 in under 5 minutes on my daughter’s Hyundai when she lost the wheel nut key

That may well be the case, Paul.  But if you were a thief it would mean an additional five minutes with the car - possibly generating an attention-getting degree of noise - and increasing the risk of discovery.

In contrast a £40 set of locking wheels nuts will provide additional protection to what can easily amount to a £1K set of chrome alloy Lexus wheels and tyres.  Were I a Dealer faced with a supply problem from Lexus, I’d buy half a dozen sets from Halfords rather than have a dissatisfied customer who’d just spent £40K with me!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LenT said:

That may well be the case, Paul.  But if you were a thief it would mean an additional five minutes with the car - possibly generating an attention-getting degree of noise - and increasing the risk of discovery.

In contrast a £40 set of locking wheels nuts will provide additional protection to what can easily amount to a £1K set of chrome alloy Lexus wheels and tyres.  Were I a Dealer faced with a supply problem from Lexus, I’d buy half a dozen sets from Halfords rather than have a dissatisfied customer who’d just spent £40K with me!

I could not agree more.

I went for Lexus (after having a BMW 530e) not only for the car itself, but for the Lexus' reputation of providing service beyond any competitor. Have they decided it was too much and will they become like the mainstream dealership?

I have been trying to contact my dealer for a few days to no avail. I will give him the benefit of the doubt, he might not be in office (although no automated response was sent back) and will give him a few more days before I take the car there.

• Like 1

Update: Had a call from Lexus customer service after I emailed them. They advise that they are supplying the locking wheel nuts to the UK (legal requirement they say) but not Europe. The do not have a time frame but will update my dealer on the situation.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2023 at 5:02 AM, robby666 said:

Update: Had a call from Lexus customer service after I emailed them. They advise that they are supplying the locking wheel nuts to the UK (legal requirement they say) but not Europe. The do not have a time frame but will update my dealer on the situation.

I also did email my dealer and he came back and assured me that similar to the second fob, there is a shortage of spare parts, but the locking wheel nuts (someone mentioned they are in fact bolts) will be provided and installed in due (no one says when yet) time.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

It looks like the locking wheel nut issue continues unfortunately, as there was none supplied on mine either.

I was going to make a semi light hearted joke with the salesman about this and say something along the lines of "I’m assuming it’ll be another 16 month wait for those to come, like the car?". However, at the point I was just about to come out with this, he basically shrugged his shoulders when confirming mine had none and said "it could be up to a year". 

Well, that would have backfired on me. At my particular dealer it looks like what I thought would have been an over the top joke looks close to being the actual reality. 😕

• Sad 2

Locking wheel nuts fitted to my is250, new tyres fitted last year, fitter must have used air gun and when i tried to remove wheels i striped key. purchased new lexus key and that also striped, managed to remove two.

Garage charged £100 to remove other two. What would have happened if I had puncture on road side?

Standard nuts fitted all round.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've had my NX 450h+ Takumi since mid July and concur that the initial shine of my purchase was setback by the omission of the second key, no locking wheel bolts, no user manuals, towbar (for my minitrailer and cycle rack) not fitted in factory. 

I've downloaded and read the manuals but not like reading a proper manual imo. 

I tried ordering wheel bolts but Lexus Parts say they won't fit the MY24.

Not told when second key arriving either.

I did hanker for the return of my top of the range Audi Q5 3.0 Quattro which I still have access to, but having driven it again recently I do now prefer the NX, probably just starting to get used to it. I'm happy now - apart from the missing items😳. Towbar fitted as a dealer fit so had to notify my insurers as they deemed it to be a notifiable "modification" and noted on their records as such.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, CGJ said:

I've had my NX 450h+ Takumi since mid July and concur that the initial shine of my purchase was setback by the omission of the second key, no locking wheel bolts, no user manuals, towbar (for my minitrailer and cycle rack) not fitted in factory. 

I did hanker for the return of my top of the range Audi Q5 3.0 Quattro which I still have access to, but having driven it again recently I do now prefer the NX, probably just starting to get used to it. I'm happy now - apart from the missing items😳. Towbar fitted as a dealer fit so had to notify my insurers as they deemed it to be a notifiable "modification" and noted on their records as such.

I have written to Lexus customer service to ask them to clarify why I was told when I collected my NX450h in June  that Lexus did not produce paper version of owner manuals, yet other customers seem to get them.

have also asked for updates / estimates for delivery of 2nd key fob and locking wheel bolts.

no reply yet !
will post when I do get a reply

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CGJ said:

Very much relatable. I wasn't particularly happy throughout my waiting process (as well documented in the '2023 Delivery Date' thread) and I wasn't particularly impressed with the collection either. Fortunately down to fellow owners on our forum, I was made aware of the lack of a second key, no locking wheel bolts or user manuals. I could prepare myself for that disappointment. If it wasn't for kind members here telling others about this, I would have been none the wiser until physically sitting in the dealer on collection day. I'd have been even less impressed...well furious after that extended wait, actually. As customer service goes, I think that's incredibly poor. 

Like yours, mine also currently lacks all of these - and I have no idea when the key or locking wheel bolts will turn up. Cutting a long story short, I was simply told it could be "up to a year" - and that was said with the shrug of shoulders. I actually doubt either will ever arrive as I have no faith in my dealer at all. 

I also had an Audi Q5 (late 2016-2020). One of the last of the original models and I just posted about it on another thread actually! I'm going to directly compare my NX to it as time goes by - but it's still very early days for me to say anything fairly. All I can say is the Q5 was a fabulous car. It's one that I do wish I'd have kept hold of for a little while longer. I'm happy with the NX and I would say in terms of 'waftability' it beats the Q5. I know that only twelve days into ownership...!

@HMT Please do indeed keep us updated! I've not bothered to chase yet. 

• Like 3

On 9/12/2023 at 1:57 PM, HMT said:

I have written to Lexus customer service to ask them to clarify why I was told when I collected my NX450h in June  that Lexus did not produce paper version of owner manuals, yet other customers seem to get them.

have also asked for updates / estimates for delivery of 2nd key fob and locking wheel bolts.

no reply yet !
will post when I do get a reply

Got a reply quite quickly with a very pleasant and lengthy explanation. In a nutshell :-
key fob - no dates for me yet but Lexus are trying to supply based on Toyota allocations, situation is improving , currently suppling to owners who took delivery to Jan 23.  Also told that dealerships should have made customers aware of situation prior to delivery - not mine

Locking wheel bolts - no plan at present but estimate later this year again - delay due to re-engineering of the bolts

for both of these I was given assurance that Lexus would take full support, also that they have been in contact to ensure insurance premiums would not be impacted by this.  So far no case of theft has been reported.

with regard to owner manuals, these are not printed and supplied with the cars, but can be requested by the owner for the dealership to order.  In some cases it appears that the dealerships have been proactive and ordered these for delivery, in some they have got them after delivery or as in my case telling customers that paper copies are not available 

• Like 1

I picked up my NX450+ on Monday. It came with one fob and one skeleton key. The Owners Handbook was supplied.

Ref locking wheel nuts, technically they are bolts rather than nuts and apparently there is some confusion within Lexus. The Parts Manager at my Dealership was constantly being asked by Customers and Sales people for the locking wheel bolts. He submitted an internal enquiry to Lexus, apparently called a Compass Case and was advised that Lexus would not be providing them.

This was subsequently contradicted in a document from Lexus to its Sales Executives saying that locking bolts would be provided once they were received from Suppliers - left hand meet right hand!

• Confused 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links