Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Review Thread

I mentioned a while ago I would work trying to collate an 'Official LOC Tyre Review' thread, to help all the people who post asking for advice on tyres.

I want to create a consistent dataset, so this is what I am proposing.

- one review thread, which stays locked under moderator control. This ensures that only reviews are contained in the official thread. Anyone wanting to submit a review posts it in a different discussion thread, or pm's it to myself or a mod.

- all reviews must contain a full set of data.

I am thinking

Lexus Model - what car did you have the tyres on

Wheel size - what size wheels did you experience the tyres on

Suspension - were you on standard suspension? What suspension mods did you have?

Purchased from - where the tyres were bought

Price - how much you paid.

Is this a comprehensive enough list of items to allow people to make an informed decision as to what tyres suit them best?

I was playing with the idea of a sliding scale, say 1-10, against a series of factors, such as grip in the wet etc, but to be honest, without a rigid set of rules to determine how these sclaes are calculated, the results are very subjective.

For example, I could rate a tyres grip as 10-10, outstanding. But thats because I drive like a grandmother, and never really tested the grip.

Whereas someone else who drives with a leaden left foot may be sliding all over the road on exactly the same setup.

So - just a brief canvass of you guys to make sure I haven't missed anthing, and then we'll get this setup! :D

Let me know if you think we need to add anything else, or just if you think is is worth trying to get up and running.

THIS IS NOT THE REVIEW THREAD - DO NOT POST ANY TYRE REVIEWS JUST YET

Sounds good to me, but I have only had one set on the car so I would struggle to compare them?

true - you would probably not contribute to the thread at this time.

However, when those tyres need replacing, you (hopefully) will have a nice review of different tyres.

You may end up with better tyres for less money.

I know I did thanks to advice from people on this forum.

I think it is a good idea but it is difficult for people to compare. Performance and noise normally get worse as the tyre wears so by the time you change them your next set always seem better so you don't really compare like for like.

What about using independant test results as a benchmark? Like the test scores provided by Reifentest.com, which you can look at when viewing tyres on www.mytyres.co.uk

Then you have a basis to compare opinions on, and a list of factors to be measured... wet grip, dry grip, etc..

Still good Matt, only got my new tyres on today and she's having the camber adjusted so can't really compare, the previous tyres were well ****** so I can't make a fair call there, but I should be able to compare to the Potenzas I had on my old wheels.

I think it is a good idea but it is difficult for people to compare. Performance and noise normally get worse as the tyre wears so by the time you change them your next set always seem better so you don't really compare like for like.

I know Col :blush:

but we get so many threads from people posting stuff like "Need new tyres (usually for their IS) - what about brand X"

Then we get a bunch of other people reviewing Brand X - and different tyres.

Problem with this is that the original poster only ever gets the benefit of the advice from people who post.

Yeah, they could search for it - but if the could be bothered searching for it, they wouldn't have posted in the first place.

At least if we try something like this, we can get a lot of (admittedly subjective) data about different tyres all in one place

i'm about to get my third set of tyres so i'm on the look out for some reccomendations.

Probably makes more sense for me to get whole new wheels and tyres instead of paying £500 for tyres though.

Only done 42,000 miles!

But yea, in theory I think it would be helpful. Even if people just use it to compare prices.

must admit, i cant tell a huge amount of difference between tyres, had khumo ecstas, dunlop sp9000's and now pirelli p-zeros. no idea as to which was better grip wise, all seem the same to me but the khumos did get 20k miles and they still had a fair bit of grip on.

i've not actually bought any new tyres, changed brands thru getting new wheels. if i was buying id just go for whichever ones looked the best (shame on me)

They're cheap mate, I just paid 110+VAT each for the T1S's today for the 225/40/18's - they're £410 including VAT for 4 with these guys.

On another note, when I got the tyres today I was recommended to use a company called VREDESTEIN - any of you guys ever used these? They reckoned they're as good as the Toyo's.

Might be worth looking into the T1R's as well mate, they're the replacement for the T1S and are supposed to be superior in everyway - it might be marketing spiel but they sound good :)

Tyre reviews usually cover:

comfort,

noise,

dry handling,

wet handling, and

tyre wear.

You could also consider:

Rolling resistance,

circumference,

looks,

anti-kerbing, and

fitting (e.g. wheel width, aspect ratios size ranges).

• 4 months later...

has this happened - setting up 'tyre review thread'???

i've been looking thru 'search' for hours on tyre info - i'm getting bits of useful info - but i'd just love to ask what i want to know, but i'm a bit scared i'll be shouted at for not searching for an answer myself...!!! :blush:

AIDO

Cut and paste appears not to work but -

VREDESTEIN were stocked as a very cheap tyre about 30 years ago at Quickfit.

Scandinavian I believe.

Worked OK for me then and don't know how they have progressed since.

ok - i've read thru loads more threads & would be VERY grateful if anyone could confirm:

rear pirelli p zero rossos have lasted 16,500 miles - this isn't too bad a wear rate?

on my is300, it would be best to stick with exactly the same tyre when i replace them or handling may be affected?

if i want to change tyre/make from pirelli - change all 5?

many thanks in advance :D

This would be really useful if we could get it set up.

Need to include mileage and users type of driving style / conditions - ie lead right foot and contry lanes or gentle driver and motorways etc.

There are many tyre review sites we could pinch format ideas from ...

ok - i've read thru loads more threads & would be VERY grateful if anyone could confirm:

rear pirelli p zero rossos have lasted 16,500 miles - this isn't too bad a  wear rate?

on my is300, it would be best to stick with exactly the same tyre when i replace them or handling may be affected?

if i want to change tyre/make from pirelli - change all 5?

many thanks in advance  :D

I got the pirelli Pzeros on my car from new and moved away from them because of the price (£125 per tyre) Having driven on lesser tyres I know realise the PZeros are worth the money and will be fitting them next time they need changed.

I got 20,000 miles out of them on the front - the rear ones only lasted half that because I was a bit naughty.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links