Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Holding Deposit Paid....opinions And Advice Please

Going to see this candidate on Tuesday morning in Bucks

Sounds like a very nice gentleman (dealer based from home) - Tells me that Lexus Oxford have maintained the car from 40k to 120k (including cambelt service at approx 75k)

Called Lexus Oxford, they were reluctant to part with a lot of detail (citing the data protection act) but they confirmed the cambelt service, their substantial relationship with the car over time - their last service contact with the car being sometime in 2013.

The negatives mentioned the seller were:

1) The gas struts holding the bonnet open were weak and needed replacing

2) There is a small piece of corrosion around one of the wheel arches

3) The Wheels need refurbishing (clearly visible from the pictures)

After my wasted journey to B'ham on Monday - and the corroborating info from Lexus Oxford - I thought I better put some money down to ensure I at least get first refusal

Any advice on how to get cheap replacement gas struts , and idea on wheel refurb costs (Manchester/Cheshire area) would be appreciated

Excitement is growing ........... "legitimate" club membership beckons

Cheers,

VKP

Did you include a link to an advert? I can't see it.

There was a post on here recently about bonnet struts, so do a search and you'll find the name of an online supplier that a number of members have used.

I was quoted £50 per wheel (+ VAT) for a refurb but ended up buying a set of unused wheels (on EBay) for less than that. They come up rarely, though. (Incidentally, I have a free set of wheels needing refurbishment if anyone local wants them.)

Both of these issues are normal for an old Lexus, and they wouldn't put me off buying an otherwise good car. Can't comment on the rust, though. Anyone else?

Never seen rust unless it's an old repair seeping thru maybe. The bonnet struts you might get refurbished or replaced thru SGS ( website somewhere ) .... take care how you send your old one's there though, maybe the new post office reduced cost parcel post might be ok !!!

Malc

At that money it can't be wrong ,whatever needs doing .Get the rust sorted by a professional it sounds like a bad repair as other members have pointed out.The wheels need doing by a good outfit if you want them to last £50 does not cut it these days expect to pay £75-100 if you want them baked and make sure they do the caps properly they can't be baked but they have to be primed silvered and lacquered within 6 hrs or the lacquer will peel after a year or so.

Any other questions just ask, there is a font of knowledge in this club.

Noticed that,from 89,000 to 130,000 no mention of SH or cambelt change, sent a message just for the fun of it :)

The blackened Mk3 wheels caught my eye . It is going cheap at the moment though.

It sold cheap twice, so I don't understand why it's re listed again, I emailed the person to find out why it hasn't sold, but he hasn't replied yet

There's also a gold courses ls400 a dealer is selling on eBay, it's the 1999 model, when he first advertised it he wanted £2999, then dropped the price to something like £2495 and now it's gone up to £3495, I wonder what all that's about

Got a reply re the 2000 on eBay.

Question was "I notice the car has FLSH up to 89,000 miles what about the time from there to present?"

Answer "Yes that's right"

Question "Is there any confirmation of the cambelt replacement?"

Answer "No"

Ok I've lost interest now :)

• Like 1

Got a reply re the 2000 on ebay.

Question was "I notice the car has FLSH up to 89,000 miles what about the time from there to present?"

Answer "Yes that's right"

Question "Is there any confirmation of the cambelt replacement?"

Answer "No"

Ok I've lost interest now :)

Ha, ha....... He makes a big point about the service history in the ad but when asked about 89,000 onwards he's lost for words, funny that, typical car trader.

• 3 weeks later...

Going to see this candidate on Tuesday morning in Bucks

Sounds like a very nice gentleman (dealer based from home) - Tells me that Lexus Oxford have maintained the car from 40k to 120k (including cambelt service at approx 75k)

Called Lexus Oxford, they were reluctant to part with a lot of detail (citing the data protection act) but they confirmed the cambelt service, their substantial relationship with the car over time - their last service contact with the car being sometime in 2013.

The negatives mentioned the seller were:

1) The Gas Struts holding the bonnet open were weak and needed replacing

2) There is a small piece of corrosion around one of the wheel arches

3) The Wheels need refurbishing (clearly visible from the pictures)

After my wasted journey to B'ham on Monday - and the corroborating info from Lexus Oxford - I thought I better put some money down to ensure I at least get first refusal

Any advice on how to get cheap replacement gas struts , and idea on wheel refurb costs (Manchester/Cheshire area) would be appreciated

Excitement is growing ........... "legitimate" club membership beckons

Cheers,

VKP

http://www.sgs-engineering.com

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links