Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How much importance do you place 0-60?

12 minutes ago, malcolmw said:

Roadcraft is based on the principles of COAST.

C = Concentration

O = Observation

A = Anticipation

S = Space

T = Time

It is these principles which have been lost by today's drivers.

Think you are being a bit unfair there. They are concentrating on their phone, they are observing their Twitter feed, they are anticipating their next text. They do try to minimise the space between themselves and the car in front, and as for time? Well they just don't have enough of it because they are already ten minutes leaving the house, at least that's what I assume, there can be no other reason for going everywhere 20mph over the limit. 

[Gross generaliastion 😉]

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Although not on subject for this thread, I agree that, in many cases, limits are set incorrectly and this is certainly a cause of "speeding" offences.

The worst offenders, IMO, are people who campaign for limit reductions when what they are actually annoyed about is the VOLUME of traffic on a road and speed acts as an easily quoted proxy instead. In my village we have Community Speedwatch which is a scheme invented by the police to pacify "concerned residents". They found that there is practically no speeding due to the hazard density in the village causing almost all drivers to go slowly.

• Thanks 1

Now of course my car would be lost in the dust from some of the cars in this thread, but 0-way over 60 was very important today when challenged by someone half my age!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@FTBBCVoodoo Lee is your reply broadly the same as mine “ Having the ability to get yourself out of trouble just as quickly as you got yourself into it “ 😉......... sort of

Yep.  Aware I was plagerising you a tad 😉

It's when the acceleration gets you into trouble that we have to start a thread....  "How much importance do you place on 60-0" 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rich1068 said:

None. Never have done. I think it's a bit silly tbh.

Question for you... Imagine situation -  you on A road, nice and smooth, speed limit is national (so 60).. in front of you 2 caravans from Netherlands doing ~40, but in the slightest bends slowing down to 30... As common in UK, roads are overgrown, all bends are blind, in straight you have "safety" islands to prevent you from (safely) overtaking and the best bet you ever have is to find semi-blind, semi-straight and floor it to 80-90MPH because you don't want to find out what is behind the bend after the straight. 

would you:

a) drive 100 miles behind them at ~35MPH?

b) you make sketchy overtake on semi-blind straight?

c) you are doing 30-40 yourself... so don't care...

b) your are the caravaneer from Netherlands..

15 minutes ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

Yep.  Aware I was plagerising you a tad 😉

It's when the acceleration gets you into trouble that we have to start a thread....  "How much importance do you place on 60-0" 😉

@FTBBCVoodoo Lee “How much importance do you place on 60-0”

Love that 😂

🐀

15 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Question for you... Imagine situation -  you on A road, nice and smooth, speed limit is national (so 60).. in front of you 2 caravans from Netherlands doing ~40, but in the slightest bends slowing down to 30... As common in UK, roads are overgrown, all bends are blind, in straight you have "safety" islands to prevent you from (safely) overtaking and the best bet you ever have is to find semi-blind, semi-straight and floor it to 80-90MPH because you don't want to find out what is behind the bend after the straight. 

would you:

b) Then you get stuck behind Doris and Jim in their caravan....

b) Then Its Ken and Doreen in their lovely camper van

b) Then its Bob and Cathy in their i10

Then you revert to a) as after an an hour you are only two vehicles ahead of Doris and Jim

18 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

would you:

Nice little “B” road accident for you!.....my car and it wasn’t me in the wrong!.....was me that came off worst though......I can assure u the effects last a lifetime 

B41457AA-874C-41A1-B1DA-BC43C39E52E9.jpeg

Just now, Womble72 said:

Nice little “B” road accident for you!.....my car and it wasn’t me in the wrong!.....was me that came off worst though......I can assure u the effects last a lifetime 

YIKES!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, Womble72 said:

B41457AA-874C-41A1-B1DA-BC43C39E52E9.jpeg

Wow your a lucky guy surviving that! Out of interest was that once an xr3i cabriolet?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Northern isf said:

Wow your a lucky guy surviving that! Out of interest was that once an xr3i cabriolet?

Yep, only had it 5 weeks, one owner from new that was garaged every night, the condition of the car was what saved my life according to the police reports, 2-1/2 weeks on life support in a comma. Nearly 6 months in hospital and a year off work. Over 23yrs  ago now. Plenty of reminders ever morning and particularly cold damp days. Thought it a good point where B roads are concerned. You never know whos coming round the corner and what injuries that innocent person will suffer, if they survive.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Northern isf said:

That would probably be enough to put a lot of people off driving ever again, I hope your ok from it all now though? .

Think the only bones I didn’t break was my back n neck. Lol.......definitely put an end to playing football, although I did try the vets and lasted about half a season a few years ago 😂......but like they say there’s always someone worse off 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it 🙂

I've been driving about thirty years or more and I honestly can't think of any instance where I've needed to go from rest to 60mph in under 5 seconds. Or probably even under 10.

And I'm not sure where you're trying to lead me Linus but on the face of it your question is just silly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rich1068 said:

I've been driving about thirty years or more and I honestly can't think of any instance where I've needed to go from rest to 60mph in under 5 seconds. Or probably even under 10.

And I'm not sure where you're trying to lead me Linus but on the face of it your question is just silly.

It is just practical situation I have encountered many times in Scotland an Wales.... basically anywhere on A roads when you get stuck behind slow vehicle. It is leading question...  sort of to determine what type of driver you are. My point - you are saying it is irrelevant, but I guess it is only irrelevant as long as it is reasonable and as log as you can overtake safely. 

Other thing - people keep saying they never need to go from 0-60 in 5 seconds... but 0-60 is just a measure to compare the cars and as well the measure to give you some indication how well the car will accelerate for overtaking, which is practical and important (but there are sort of drivers who never overtake). I agree - it would be better if they state 40-60 time instead, but equally I fully understand that there are too many variables to tell rolling start times, hence 0-60 times are provided.

Going back to practical situations, today I was pulling out of petrol station on A127... it is 70MPH road and exit from petrol station has no slip road, furthermore it is downhill and visibility about 100 meters, that means you have ~3s to reach 70MPH without cutting-off other car. Obviously, most of the cars change to the second lane there to give you space, or you can wait for somebody to turn into petrol station, or you can wait for truck, because trucks will be doing 60 and you can see them from further away, but otherwise it is busy road and you might be waiting there forever to pull-in. I was in BMW with 7.3s 0-60 and waited for 1.5min and that was already properly scary, anything slower would be just unacceptable. 

@doog442 yes... that is most likely what would happen... hence I summarise - the most dangerous drivers are the slow ones, because they force everyone to do suicidal overtakes. Driving at speed limit is not that difficult.. The worst ones are Joes who slow down to 30 in slightest turn and then when you start overtaking in straight they start accelerating as well! With powerful enough car it is pretty simple, find the little straight patch and overtake, but with some slower car it becomes really sketchy in UK.. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Linas.P said:

It is just practical situation I have encountered many times in Scotland an Wales.... basically anywhere on A roads when you get stuck behind slow vehicle. It is leading question...  sort of to determine what type of driver you are. My point - you are saying it is irrelevant, but I guess it is only irrelevant as long as it is reasonable and as log as you can overtake safely. 

Other thing - people keep saying they never need to go from 0-60 in 5 seconds... but 0-60 is just a measure to compare the cars and as well the measure to give you some indication how well the car will accelerate for overtaking, which is practical and important (but there are sort of drivers who never overtake). I agree - it would be better if they state 40-60 time instead, but equally I fully understand that there are too many variables to tell rolling start times, hence 0-60 times are provided.

Going back to practical situations, today I was pulling out of petrol station on A127... it is 70MPH road and exit from petrol station has no slip road, furthermore it is downhill and visibility about 100 meters, that means you have ~3s to reach 70MPH without cutting-off other car. Obviously, most of the cars change to the second lane there to give you space, or you can wait for somebody to turn into petrol station, or you can wait for truck, because trucks will be doing 60 and you can see them from further away, but otherwise it is busy road and you might be waiting there forever to pull-in. I was in BMW with 7.3s 0-60 and waited for 1.5min and that was already properly scary, anything slower would be just unacceptable. 

@doog442 yes... that is most likely what would happen... hence I summarise - the most dangerous drivers are the slow ones, because they force everyone to do suicidal overtakes. Driving at speed limit is not that difficult.. The worst ones are Joes who slow down to 30 in slightest turn and then when you start overtaking in straight they start accelerating as well! With powerful enough car it is pretty simple, find the little straight patch and overtake, but with some slower car it becomes really sketchy in UK.. 

There’s more than one petrol station on the A127 with no slip road.....most will adapt their driving to expect someone to have to pull out, and in heavy traffic on the A127 you could probably walk out of the slip road. Lol.......the roads a joke in rush hour

People say in 30-50 years they never considered 0-62 time, I can't believe it! There had to be a situation when you needed more/better acceleration for situation, well, may be it is not 0 to 60 but 0-30/40! 

Or people just happy to drive behind caravan at 30mph for hours, get all the exhaust and spray from it and this is not a smooth and progressive way of driving this is a phlegmatic way and I have never met such patience people in my life, I have seen them though, they also drive so close to caravan that you can't even overtake them as they are making sure there is no gap between them and caravan so people do not overtake them and then when road opens up you have to overtake 2 sometimes 3 cars (including caravan) in one time and that's when you need a good acceleration.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hadrian said:

In about 50yrs of motoring  0 - 60 times have never been a consideration for me.  I drive within my, and my cars limitations.

Ditto. And contrary to what some may think, that doesn't mean I'm adverse to a spirited drive. Neither am I happy to sit behind traffic when there's no need. I take Linus' point that 0-60 is just a yardstick but it's a yardstick I pay little notice to.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links