Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Today I'll mainly be moaning about ...

Steve

1 minute ago, Mossypossy said:

Today I am asking why would you queue for an hour for lunchtime fish and chips on New Year's Day?

Happened in Aldeburgh in Suffolk....a town so trendy it is just about to disappear up its own ***.

I doubt I’d be willing to queue for more than fifteen minutes,but lunchtime fish and chips does sound like a nice idea…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Today i am complaining about people that accelerate when you overtake them

I have a proven antidote for such behaviour, Bernard.

Some years ago I exited a roundabout behind a small Ford in a line of slow moving traffic.  The traffic speeded up, except for the Ford which apparently could only make 10mph.  The traffic in front of the Ford now accelerated away and a queue formed behind me - so I began to overtake the Ford.  But before I could complete the manoeuvre the Ford driver located his accelerator and again speeded up to stay in front - and then slowed to about 14mph.

To prove it was no accident, he repeated this action when I actually drove past him, undertaking to do so.  He was determined my Honda Accord was not going to pass.  I suspect his sense of achievement lasted for all of four months, when a local Copper called on him one morning with the video files from my dashcam.

If you don't already have one, I can recommend them.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

Today I am asking why would you queue for an hour for lunchtime fish and chips on New Year's Day?

Happened in Aldeburgh in Suffolk....a town so trendy it is just about to disappear up its own ***.

I’m intrigued Steve…so why did you?

For this to be a legitimate moan, I suggest that such a lengthy wait must be more due to an irritating influx of tourists coupled with very slow service and an indifferent product at the end.

I note that Aldeburgh does claim to be served by some highly regarded establishments, but of course you don’t anticipate waiting an hour when you join the queue, but the more time you invest in waiting, the harder it becomes to walk away and find some other, possibly less popular place.

So was it worth it?

I beg the indulgence of the honourable members for this one. I know times have changed, and I know there’s no solution to this - but I feel I must vent my frustration.

The FA Premier League. What’s the point? There are now only two or three clubs who can reasonably expect to actually win anything, unless increasingly dubious foreign owners buy a different club (see Newcastle United). Everybody else is there for…what exactly? Where’s the fun in aspiring to finish in the top ten or to avoid relegation? Trust me, there isn’t any.

I was reminded of the change in the sport by @royoftheroverspost earlier in this thread. When I was growing up in the early 1970s things were very different. My school didn’t play football, only rugby or hockey in the Winter and cricket or tennis in the Summer. We weren’t even allowed to play football in our leisure time! Naturally that made us fascinated by the ‘forbidden fruit’ and my Father (also not a football fan) took my brother and I to our local club - at that time, fourth division Watford. I ended up as a season ticket holder for over thirty years, but I gave it up about a decade ago now.

Back then, the players were largely local boys who had been scouted and come through the youth set up. They lived locally. They played squash and tennis at the local tennis club where my family were members. We played against them and their children! They were approachable and normal, and when they retired they’d run a local sports shop or pub. Other sports were similar. My Father worked with a former England cricketer. My school rugby master had played rugby for Harlequins.

What do we get now? Massively overpaid players who (mainly) have no loyalty to their club or region. They follow the money. I don’t really blame them, but are they really the positive role models we’re LED to believe they are, with their huge houses, ludicrous tattoos and fast cars? 

I know we can’t turn the clock back, but that doesn’t make this any less valid for a good moan. I actually now far prefer watching lower league football. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that - pre-pandemic - attendances at non-league football were rising fast. It’s because of that crucial connection between community and fans. They’re real people, not remote modern Gods.

I asked the children of some family friends who they supported. I was told Manchester City by one child, and Chelsea by the other. Neither has any connection with those clubs. They simply watch on TV and choose the team they think will win or who they liked best at that moment. Sigh. We’re all doomed…

• Like 7

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

They follow the money.   Fully Agree with your observations and can say it is an international problem. The absurd amount of money going round is killing football. Arab gentlemen with an oilwell in their garden are simply buying a European football team and then start to collect players with money no object. Just for fun. Paris Saint Germain comes to mind. Result is that every talented player over 14 is scouted and gets a contract. UK and Spain are hoovering up the entire European market leaving the smaller countries out in the dry. Result there is mediocre players and mediocre teams while the big names ( Manchester, Madrid etc) are getting stronger. And those young players with more money than is good for them? I remember reading an English article concluding that after 5 years of their careers end 70% is bankrupt. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Result there is mediocre players and mediocre teams while the big names ( Manchester, Madrid etc) are getting stronger.

TBH I think the proposed ‘European Super League’ would have been a good thing. Take out the biggest teams from every European league - Barcelona & Real from Spain, PSG from France, Juve and both Milan clubs from Italy, Bayern from Germany, the big four from the PL - and those leagues would likely become more competitive while the ‘Super League’ could become a vanity project for wealthy owners and Chinese supporters.

On 11/11/2021 at 9:20 AM, Steve said:

Heres a continuous daily thread for members who like to have a moan about stupid things in life... Keep it going!!

Today I'll mainly be moaning about ...

I'd like to have a quick moan about a certain ex-PM 'getting' a knighthood🙁

2 hours ago, PCM said:

I'd like to have a quick moan about a certain ex-PM 'getting' a knighthood🙁

Me too, maybe the knighthood is for playing a major part in starting an unwinnable war! so he could be knighted for playing the fool so well, in which case it's well deserved!

• Like 1

I see the Covid “experts” are also on the list with Chris Twitty gaining a knighthood, fortunately for him he was locked in the broom cupboard at No.10 during the Christmas party. 😀

• Like 1

Knighthood.

A joke?

Given by some living in castles far from people. Paid by the people.

Read that the queen of Denmark several years ago was looking for a personal assistant that was not going to be paid by anything more than the permission to later claim: I have been assistant to the queen.

Have a hard time believing other countries have royal families better.

Their abundant wealth is nothing they have been working for.

God bless the -

• Like 1

Has anyone moaned about the time hosts take to announce winners on programmes like Strictly etc? If not, can I get one in please? Just announce who has won or who is getting kicked out, there's no need for a three hour pause.

• Like 1

Can I also moan about post-Christmas adverts? If I hear that awful Jet2Holidays advert again, I will put a brick through the television. Also, where are all the adverts for the weekly "build a Ferrari F40 in 652 parts" magazines? First issue is £1.99, the rest are £9.99, making the total cost of the model £6,515.47 (if I've done my sums correctly). Surely it's cheaper to look on amazon for a kit?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mincey said:

Also, where are all the adverts for the weekly "build a Ferrari F40 in 652 parts" magazines? First issue is £1.99, the rest are £9.99, making the total cost of the model £6,515.47 (if I've done my sums correctly). Surely it's cheaper to look on Amazon for a kit?

... this year it's the Titanic. A steal at about £1,400!

• Haha 1

I have nothing to moan about. Pretty happy with my lot in fact. I might leave this one to the Victor Meldrews amongst us. And clearly there are quite a few 😀

• Like 2

Nothing to moan about here either .  life is brilliantly wonderful ......  to awaken every morning is a blessing one has  ............. and only really realises it's a great blessing when you just KNOW and appreciate that your last awakening could have been yesterday !

Roll on tomorrow, another wondrous day ahead to get the very best from .....  with zero moans please everyone ..... 

Malc

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Malc said:

Nothing to moan about here either .  life is brilliantly wonderful ......  to awaken every morning is a blessing one has  ............. and only really realises it's a great blessing when you just KNOW and appreciate that your last awakening could have been yesterday !

Roll on tomorrow, another wondrous day ahead to get the very best from .....  with zero moans please everyone ..... 

Malc

Carpe Diem mi amigo. 👍👍👍

• Like 1

I think we are all correct.

Life generally is wonderful. It has its challenges, highs and lows.

'Moaning' can be positive, cathartic and really a way of connecting with others in a sometimes unconnected world.

Mental health can make things more difficult, and sometimes not easily understood by those that only feel happiness.

But yes, life is to be cherished.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, PCM said:

I think we are all correct.

Life generally is wonderful. It has its challenges, highs and lows.

'Moaning' can be positive, cathartic and really a way of connecting with others in a sometimes unconnected world.

Mental health can make things more difficult, and sometimes not easily understood by those that only feel happiness.

But yes, life is to be cherished.

Very well expressed Piers.

Stay safe and well.👍👍👍

• Like 1

I moan about many things on a daily basis; my neighbours, their dog, the weather, my wife, my daily struggle with anything electric/mechanical, the supermarket ran out of nutella, the bread is 3 days old, petrolprices, trafficjams And So On. 

I do know however that all this is completely trivial, not important and just useless dribble. I think i have now reached the age of wisdom and realize like many of us that it is all about health and family. No sickness in the family a roof over your head and some food in the fridge. Rest is pure luxury really. Sometimes you have to live through darkness to recognize the importance of things. 

A new completely unimportant moan. Only 1 bottle of red left ( John, Malbec) and after opening you discover it is off, cork!! Nooooo..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mincey said:

Can I also moan about post-Christmas adverts? If I hear that awful Jet2Holidays advert again, I will put a brick through the television. Also, where are all the adverts for the weekly "build a Ferrari F40 in 652 parts" magazines? First issue is £1.99, the rest are £9.99, making the total cost of the model £6,515.47 (if I've done my sums correctly). Surely it's cheaper to look on Amazon for a kit?

Think yourself lucky James, we’re flying back with them on Wednesday and they play it on the bloody plane! 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links