Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another is250 loss off the roads

Well I lost control of my beloved is250 on Saturday just gone in very very wet windy rainy weather on the M62 on the way to Leeds. It was the front that let go. I was in the outside lane then all of a sudden the front let go. I tried to correct it but I slid 180 degrees and was going backwards on the hard shoulder half on grass verge and half on the road surface then straight across the carriageway and squarely hit the Z posts which hold up the wires you see. That impact bounced me back across the carriageway where I rolled to a stop on the hard shoulder. 

Well and truly peed off with myself because I can say I was going too fast for the conditions. Luckily no other vehicle involved. 

Damage to my car both rear wings bashed and creased. Bumper totalled. Boot floor really distorted. Been told by my insurance underwriters that's its a total loss.

As it happens a good few minutes later a few hundred yards behind me a 2 car incident. Behind that I was told of a 5 car incident. The motorway was shut for a while.

So I'm an unhappy bunny and without my car. But something bugs me. No airbags went off. None. Now I know the previous owner had a front end collision and I'm assuming that airbags went off then but not reinstated. Very naughty me thinks.

So copart are going to pick up my car from Bradford and strip it for parts.

Not sure what offer I'm going to get from my Insurers but it should be around what I paid for it a few years back. Not sure I'd get another one though. 

I'm waiting for an offer from a claim I've made from my fall last December of which they accepted liability and I'm expecting a decent amount so a relatively new lexus I'll get.

So until then I'll be quiet on the forum.

Take care out there in these awful wet times. It can catch Anyone out.

• Sad 10

Sorry to hear, but as well it is great to know you are alright! That is what matter!

As for airbags - that is interesting and not first time I am hearing it, I know in roll over they don't deploy as apparently that is not needed, but you had a shunt before that so one would expect they would have deployed then. In your own perspective do you think them deploying would have helped or would it actually hindered the exit?

It would be interesting to know what they offer for the car nowadays when the prices are so high, I assume buying it back is not an option either if it is so badly damaged?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear of your mishap Vladimir,most important thing is that you came out of it unscathed and are otherwise ok, and with time you will be able to replace your car

• Thanks 1

A dreadful experience Vladimir, but thankfully it sounds like you got off without personal injury.  From your description you might have easily have collected other vehicles and it could all have ended rather differently.

Clearly you weren’t the only driver to have a bad day on the Motorway that day.

Aquaplaning is always my greatest concern because you’re so suddenly just a passenger.  

As ‘they’ say; any crash you can walk away from is a good crash!

But sadly that reduces the number of registered 2007 IS250 SE-L to 306.

Interesting comment about the air bags.  When my Accord was T-boned by an HGV, no airbags deployed then either.  

11 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

So until then I'll be quiet on the forum.

I for one certainly hope that that won’t be the case!  Your search for a replacement Lexus should be worth a few entertaining Posts yet.  😊

• Thanks 1

Mr Vlad

At least you realise the cause of your prang - - there's a lesson for all of us there...

I'm pleased that you are relatively unscathed, but sorry to learn that you totalled your car.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. Right. Yes I'll be looking for a cheapish runaround. Probably back to a Ford Focus mk3 1.0 litre.

As for what they'll offer. It'll be market value before the incident. I have told them its got full dealer service history and that I was second owner. Looking in auto trader average price is about 6k

As a replacement lexus, when I get one, top of the list is the UX250 (I really like that car).

Oh. As for the airbags not deploying. Would they have hampered me exiting the car. I doubt it.

Thinking about my Stupid incident I was very lucky that 1 I was uninjured.  2 that no other vehicle involved. Luckily the other drivers noticed the pillock up ahead losing control and they slowed down accordingly. 

Oh and I will pop onto the forum but instead of a few times a day I'll make it every other day or so. After all this is a fabulous forum.

• Like 11

Sorry to hear that @Mr Vlad , but I'm glad you're good. Happens to the best of us! As for the airbags, I think this is normal since it was a rear end damage.. the guy who crashed my old one did something similar to you and airbags didn't go off either as only the rear of the car got affected. Tbh for the money that MK3 focus will cost you, you could get another IS250 😉 but the UX will be nice if you get it! 

• Like 1

Incredibly unlucky there, Vladimir. I'm sorry to hear about your IS250 and it's bad enough to be written off. The main thing is that you've come away unharmed. A car can ultimately be replaced. Lets just hope all the insurance business can be dealt with swiftly and without complication.  

Not in my current car but in the Audi Q5 before it, I did once aquaplane on a patch of standing water on a dual carriageway near work, which often forms after a heavy downpour. It’s on a very slight right hand curve and an on-slip from a junction runs up the nearside. Luckily there was no accident but I did very much feel the front end of the car carry on in a straight line and not along the slight right hand curve. Ultimately it sent me to the cat's eyes and dashed lines between the inside lane I was in and the on-slip. Fortunately no cars were coming up it at the time. What was even more concerning is that I wasn't even doing 60mph at the time. This was around 56/57mph ish. It was only as my nearside front wheel went over the cat's eyes did the front end regain grip. 

As an outgoing UX250h owner, it's a car I've been very happy with overall. It's been a great overall companion for the last three years. The F-Sport seats up front are fabulous.  

I do hope you find yourself another Lexus in the near future.  

All the very best.

• Thanks 1

So glad you are OK and didn't hit any other cars.

This is one reason why I choose a good brand of tyre. I either go for Michelin Energy savers on my 1996 Volvo 940 and on my 2015 Auris Hybrid have fitted Goodyear efficient grip Mk2.

When I bought my Volvo 940 6 years ago it had 3 different makes of tyre and tread pattern! Went to Ireland in it to County Kerry on the SW coast and the rear end let go on a double roundabout. Did a right at first roundabout the immediately left at 2nd. It upset the balance and felt the rear sliding out. Managed to correct it. Shocked me as doing around 23mph. Volvo only has ABS brakes and drivers airbag. When I returned to the UK 11 weeks later I fitted the energy savers.

James

• Like 1

I know where you're coming from Lucas regarding getting another is250 but the only ones 'worth' looking at are too far away. Plus I'm shying away from getting an 'older' car. As for the focus. I've had a couple of the mk3's albeit diesels but they never let me down. No mechanical or electrical issues. They just went on and on. Yes I'm looking at the 1.0 litre ecoboost and yes I'm fully aware of issues concerning that little fantastic engine but I know what causes the issues and how to overcome them. Plus they're a 3 pot and sound like a likkul V6 lol. Am loving the sound of the Fiat 500 I'm using until I get paid out Plus the fuel economy is ruddy amazing. 

• Like 1

Yes I'm fully aware about the 'wet' cam belt and how it's failed a lot. That's down to poor maintenance basically. 

Something I forgot to mention. The first phone call after my stupid prang was to Lexus Assist. OMG what a Total waste of time. I got the impression they weren't interested and fobbed me off with Lantern Recovery to which I would have to pay.

And oh dear I've just spent some time getting quotes for various cars. All quotes gone up a couple hundred quid 😖

Weird thing too. Same car basically but 6 months age difference between 2 of them and nearly £200 difference in insurance quote! I'm rather flummoxed by that.

Thanks again for your nice thoughts etc.

40 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Yes I'm fully aware about the 'wet' cam belt and how it's failed a lot. That's down to poor maintenance basically. 

Something I forgot to mention. The first phone call after my stupid prang was to Lexus Assist. OMG what a Total waste of time. I got the impression they weren't interested and fobbed me off with Lantern Recovery to which I would have to pay.

And oh dear I've just spent some time getting quotes for various cars. All quotes gone up a couple hundred quid 😖

Weird thing too. Same car basically but 6 months age difference between 2 of them and nearly £200 difference in insurance quote! I'm rather flummoxed by that.

Thanks again for your nice thoughts etc.

Glad you were OK after the prang - that's the most important thing. I must admit I am always confused what to do in those situations regards recovery. AFAIK the breakdown companies won't generally attend and it seems to be down to the insurance company to organise recovery, which if it's the middle of the night not sure whether there would be anyone on the end of the phone! When I hit a lorry tyre shed from a rim on the motorway it left my car undrivable. This was 9pm at night. I contacted Lexus Assist and they did arrange to get the car flat-bedded to wherever I wanted. Chose to leave it outside my local Lexus dealer so that I could arrange repair through them -the dealer were somewhat confused when they opened the gates the next morning and found my damaged car outside. I arranged to be there when they opened and explained the situation and they took the car off to their repair facility for me.

On 7/18/2023 at 10:43 PM, scudney said:

The 1.0 ecoboost has a wet belt and is also known as the ecoboom on the ford forum for its unreliability lol 😆 

Glad it was only a hire car. Did 2500 miles though and no boom.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links