Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Dealer Service in Under One Hour...

NemesisUK

Just had a "Talk to Lexus" survey talking about rapid dealer servicing. Being able to book a time slot and get the car serviced and valeted by two experienced technicians in under 1hr while you wait...

The first free text field asked what I thought of the offer and I must say I was a bit scathing. What corners are being cut? Are Lexus employing so many more techs that they are able to turn cars round so quickly? Is Lexus taking on the likes of Kwikfit and Halfords?

Am I being too cynical? 

• Like 1

Very interesting,Peter.

I assume the 1 hour turnaround would only apply to a minor/interim service.If so did they give any indication of cost (or difference to the existing pricing structure?)

Provided all work is done correctly,I would think 1 hour turnaround would be great...you can only drink so much coffee at a time.

David 

6 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Am I being too cynical? 

No. I think you have every right to be. A quick wash and vac alone would surely take at least 15-20mins.

I don't know how time-consuming the hybrid health check is, but let's assume 5mins or so. That leaves about half an hour to change the oil and complete all the other checks.

Possible, I guess, if a minor service. Especially if 2 people are on the job, but I'd have my doubts that absolutely everything was being inspected properly.

If they're offering to complete a major 20K service in this time frame, I'd definitely call foul.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

What corners are being cut? Are Lexus employing so many more techs that they are able to turn cars round so quickly? Is Lexus taking on the likes of Kwikfit and Halfords?

Am I being too cynical? 

I assume Lexus' thinking is no corners need to be cut or more techs employed, just that instead of 2x tech each working on a single car for 2 hours (2 cars serviced in 4 man hours) you would have 2x tech working on one car, followed by the 2x techs working on the next car (2 cars service in 4 man hours)?

• Like 1

I also replied to this. Cynic in me says it seems to be a very expensive hourly rate. 

The previous survey was about combining Lexus and Toyota servicing together. 

What are they up to?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidCM said:

I assume the 1 hour turnaround would only apply to a minor/interim service.If so did they give any indication of cost (or difference to the existing pricing structure?)

There was no mention of costs but as another mentions the previous survey was regarding using Toyota as a service centre

Yes Peter I too would be cynical. Regarding hourly rates they vary quite a bit between dealers or they used to. The last time I rung a dealer up I think it was Audi or BMW varied between them one would be say £170per hr the other £160. I just wonder if something is a foot longer delivery times, Toyota servicing Lexus but i think other dealers and manufactures similar times are funny Mmmmm

• Like 2

I also am cynical, what corners are being cut to save time, will the job be done properly? I got the impression it would be two technicians working on the same car. How is this going to work for HSE etc. Will they get confused over who does what job. Fred thought Bill was tightening the wheel nuts, but Bill thought Fred did it, in the end nobody did it.!

My car goes in once a year so I can wait a few hours for it to be done properly. Especially if you use collect and deliver.

But for some where a car is a tool and not using the tool means it's not earning, it may be worth consideration.

I'm not sure how using two technicians can save much time on an interim service, which is basically an oil change and a few checks. A single technician can do the checks while the oil is draining, and then fill up with new oil/filter. Probably doesn't take one guy more than an hour.

I tend to share the view that cutting time leads to cutting corners, and don't really care how long a service takes, and only that it's done properly.

Now, if they offered to cut rates, say an optional cheaper rate if you didn't want a courtesy car, or collection and delivery, then I'd be open to giving that idea some thought.

• Like 3

On 10/18/2022 at 5:05 PM, ColinBarber said:

I assume Lexus' thinking is no corners need to be cut or more techs employed, just that instead of 2x tech each working on a single car for 2 hours (2 cars serviced in 4 man hours) you would have 2x tech working on one car, followed by the 2x techs working on the next car (2 cars service in 4 man hours)?

Errrrrr I'm confused. It's been a long tiring day. But aren't those 2 examples the same result? Am I missing something? (probably) lol.

This makes me wonder just how long a service actually takes. An hour I don't think is doable. From actual start to finish including finding the car then driving it to the bay then doing what they do as a service then drive it back to the car park. Nah an hour is too short.

33 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Errrrrr I'm confused. It's been a long tiring day. But aren't those 2 examples the same result? Am I missing something? (probably) lol.

Yes they are the same result, that's the point. I don't see the concern if the amount of time actually spend on a car isn't changing.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

This makes me wonder just how long a service actually takes. An hour I don't think is doable. From actual start to finish including finding the car then driving it to the bay then doing what they do as a service then drive it back to the car park. Nah an hour is too short.

Don't forget the valet as well, inside and out....

• Like 1

Just to add to the cynicism, one element that we don’t know is how long they actually spend on the servicing currently. 

The car gets dropped off or collected during the morning and is picked up or returned later in the day, but apart from the estimated number of man hours to service the car does anyone really know how many man hours are actually spent on the car. Some dealers may currently turn a car service around in an hour for all we know.

As for the valet, having seen how dealers wash cars no way will I allow them to touch mine. I not only tell the service dept “do not wash” I also put a printed card to that effect on the dash.

• Like 3

You must have witnessed a shoddy car washer Paul. I'm surprised that the ones I've seen at dealers were really good. Careful and they looked like they were enjoying it. Just goes to show where one 'service ' at a place is very good and at another really shoddy. That's where forums like this and social media etc are valuable to get independent reviews of a 'service ' but one does have to fish out the false ones that are deliberately put in there.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 11:57 AM, Mr Vlad said:

You must have witnessed a shoddy car washer Paul. I'm surprised that the ones I've seen at dealers were really good. Careful and they looked like they were enjoying it. Just goes to show where one 'service ' at a place is very good and at another really shoddy. That's where forums like this and social media etc are valuable to get independent reviews of a 'service ' but one does have to fish out the false ones that are deliberately put in there.

My comment was regarding dealers washing cars in general and not specific to Lexus, who I’ve never let wash mine. 

Using a chamois to dry it is enough for me, especially one which has been used on the previous 10 cars that day and will leave an oily residue on the bodywork, not to mention a sponge or mit that hasn’t been thoroughly washed out between car washes so hence has grit soaked in to it.

I doubt when it comes to washing a car that Lexus/Toyota (my dealer shares facilities) do much different to the norm but happy to be proven wrong.

• Like 2

When we had a MR2 Spyder in 2005 - 6 Toyota here were managed by Japanese staff and there was a special service meaning something like come and have problems solved without appointment.

That was more expensive, but it was also fast and competent. But they never promised that anything could be done in an hour, but they had a car we could use til they were finished, something Toyot/Lexus have not now. Do not know when the service was left in the hand of local people, as we changed the Spyder to a Smart Roadster Coupé (much more go-cart like) and no longer came to Toyota, but noticed that the Lexus building next to Toyota was no longer Lexus, but another brand, think it could have been in 2010, when we started coming to that part of town again needed more space i our car and changed the Smart to a VW.

Doubt that any company can make a service of a car in an hour if done correct. Sucking the old oil up with a vacuum cleaner like thing and putting on a new filter, yes, but a service is more than that.

While we are on about servicing i remember you could have a video of it being worked on and they would call you up if something needed more attention. Cant remember think it was BMW or Audi. I dont think it would be a bad thing if they had a vid over the bay when your car was been serviced you could then see the service carried out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ALAW said:

While we are on about servicing i remember you could have a video of it being worked on and they would call you up if something needed more attention. Cant remember think it was BMW or Audi. I dont think it would be a bad thing if they had a vid over the bay when your car was been serviced you could then see the service carried out.

Brent, everything that one sees should not always be believed. My last Annual Service was carried out in late August. I was shown what purported to be an exhaust system underneath my car. I was told that it was blowing and badly corroded and needed replacing at a cost of £800.

I know that when I took it in it was not blowing so I did not even consider authorising a replacement. It remains fine today. I do not know if it is badly corroded,but I do know that it is still not blowing!   

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 4:38 PM, NemesisUK said:

Just had a "Talk to Lexus" survey talking about rapid dealer servicing. Being able to book a time slot and get the car serviced and valeted by two experienced technicians in under 1hr while you wait...

The first free text field asked what I thought of the offer and I must say I was a bit scathing. What corners are being cut? Are Lexus employing so many more techs that they are able to turn cars round so quickly? Is Lexus taking on the likes of Kwikfit and Halfords?

Am I being too cynical? 

My first question was what is the price? The reason it takes whole day is because they group of Lexus Techs (I don't know maybe 6 people) look at 100 cars a day. 6x8=48 - means they maybe spend 30 minutes per car for just as service and inspection. Point is - they can be efficient because everyone brings the cars in the morning and pics-up in the evening, so they never need to care on when customer arrives and when customer leaves. They have have yard full of cars and they systematically work trough the during the day. 

If they want to do this specific slot with 2 techs, this changes whole way it works. Meaning techs has to do nothing, wait for your to arrive and dedicate their time to your car. They can easily do it in under 1 hour, the problem is that that 1 hour costs 2x£185 normally. So this sort of dedication would be much more expensive service... And what if you car needs some major service, like say replacing crank position sensor (which requires half of front end to be split apart). What they do with next customer who has dedicated slot? Overall they would need much more dedicated techs just waiting for customer to arrive.

I am cynical as well, just from different perspective - I just can't see why Lexus would offer such service for the same price? And if not for the same price then how much.

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

My first question was what is the price? The reason it takes whole day is because they group of Lexus Techs (I don't know maybe 6 people) look at 100 cars a day. 6x8=48 - means they maybe spend 30 minutes per car for just as service and inspection. Point is - they can be efficient because everyone brings the cars in the morning and pics-up in the evening, so they never need to care on when customer arrives and when customer leaves. They have have yard full of cars and they systematically work trough the during the day. 

If they want to do this specific slot with 2 techs, this changes whole way it works. Meaning techs has to do nothing, wait for your to arrive and dedicate their time to your car. They can easily do it in under 1 hour, the problem is that that 1 hour costs 2x£185 normally. So this sort of dedication would be much more expensive service... And what if you car needs some major service, like say replacing crank position sensor (which requires half of front end to be split apart). What they do with next customer who has dedicated slot? Overall they would need much more dedicated techs just waiting for customer to arrive.

I am cynical as well, just from different perspective - I just can't see why Lexus would offer such service for the same price? And if not for the same price then how much.

Anything outside the normal service then they would just get you to book a new appointment I assume?

20 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

Anything outside the normal service then they would just get you to book a new appointment I assume?

I don't know, but it would be weird if they would give you back the car with dangerous fault and say - "sorry we can't fix it, your time is up, rebook it next time".

As well it does not make sense from business perspective as service is key time for all sorts of "upsales", tyres, shocks, brake disks etc. So if they have limited time to work on the car, then they have not time to offer you any of that - they have to just replace the oil and give back the car. Overall, by offering such service they would lose money and it would cost them more to provide it.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links