Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Where did Ex Lexus Owners go to?

dutchie01

6 hours ago, Rabbers said:

I think I might have caught a glimpse of a Polestar, possibly a 2,

my nephews hubby has a Polestar but i have no idea of the model nor it's cost ,  rarely see them as they live in deepest darkest Hampshire 😅

I think money's no object for them ........ .  he's a Consultant heart surgeon ............. and he would invariably have the best and with 2 kids to runabout too 

I've never seen another Poleastar tho, to my knowledge

Malc

On 4/22/2023 at 10:05 AM, Malc1 said:

Mercedes with NO DIPSTICK to check the level  .  seemed a little disconcerting at the time  .  and even now i would say

BUT is that typical of a modern car now ?

Not typical. But the engine would have an electronic level gauge so there is one, just not available to the driver/owner.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Not typical. But the engine would have an electronic level gauge so there is one, just not available to the driver/owner.

My XC70 had both a manual dipstick and an electronic one, driving down the motorway one day and a message popped up saying add 1 litre of oil, first time I'd had a message like that and didn't know it even had that function.

Speaking of dipsticks,my Porsche Cayman had no dipstick,just an electronic readout when you turned on the ignition.Also no coolant tank visible,again an electronic readout.The only access to fluids were filler caps in the rear boot for oil and water.

• 3 weeks later...

My original Lexus was an ISF.  Was in the market for a practical, fast car and had never had a V8 before.  Always liked the ISF due to the fact it was a bit different to the M3/C63 at time and reliability was important to me.  Sold it to buy a new FK8 Civic Type R, owned for almost 4 years and it was objectively better than the ISF in every way.  As cheesy as it sounds my heart ached for the ISF V8 and as practicality was less of an issue now, the RCF was the natural choice.  I will always love the ISF but don’t miss it anymore!

Was also aware that N/A V8s are dying and wanted to get another one before Lexus kill the engine!  Can’t imagine we are going to see it after the LC500.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

..... Two months later I'm in Denmark parked next to a Polestar 2, of which I've been seeing quite a few around.  Don't have much to say except that I hadn't seen one close-up before.  Comparisons are rather meaningless, but I will comment that, despite its age, I find my RC better looking if only because it's a coupé.  The Polestar's owner let me take a peep inside and I was perhaps less impressed than he was when I subsequently returned the favour with my RC.  The quality of both cars is visibly high but Lexus' is higher - though, in fairness, it must be said that the Polestar's cabin is probably ideal for anyone looking to balance minimalism with a good degree of space and comfort.  This entry-level 270bhp version gets to 100kmh in just over 6' against the RC300h's 8'+, making it a nippy car though the owner admitted that he and most other Danish private customers buy it less for performance than for its spaciousness and claimed Volvo-like solidity and probable long life compared to Tesla.  The guy added that he would have preferred to buy the sleeker and more luxurious SUV-type "3" Polestar but couldn't afford one at not much less than twice the price of the "2".

IMG_1331.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well I'm an Ex Lexus owner due to my superb is250 being written off. I'm back in a Ford. 

Oh who said it. From caviar to baked beans? Absolutely NOT. My current Ford Focus drives every bit as good as the is250 I had.Nearly half the cubic capacity but ruddy hell quicker thanks to the turbo and more frugal with the go go juice too. Its also just as comfortable to drive. If only the is250 was a hatchback then ruck my tin hat it'd be the best of the best because that V6 is oh so wonderful. Would be the dogs dangle bits if it was turbo'd.

So basically from Lexus to Ford yet again. And hopefully back in a Lexus in about a year.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Well I'm an Ex Lexus owner due to my superb is250 being written off. I'm back in a Ford. 

Oh who said it. From caviar to baked beans? Absolutely NOT. My current Ford Focus drives every bit as good as the is250 I had.Nearly half the cubic capacity but ruddy hell quicker thanks to the turbo and more frugal with the go go juice too. Its also just as comfortable to drive. If only the is250 was a hatchback then ruck my tin hat it'd be the best of the best because that V6 is oh so wonderful. Would be the dogs dangle bits if it was turbo'd.

So basically from Lexus to Ford yet again. And hopefully back in a Lexus in about a year.

Well I'm partly in a Ford. I've had my Volvo XC60 for about 18 months now and I have to say, it's simply brilliant. Safe, well built, supremely comfortable and a joy to drive. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

… From caviar to baked beans? Absolutely NOT. … 

Vlad, for one reason or another I‘ve been unlucky with just about every Ford I’ve ever driven, and this, justly or unjustly, had made me prejudiced.

The only Ford I’ve ever owned was a 2003 1600cc Fiesta, Ghia trim, bought new and used mainly by my wife.  It spent a lot of time in the workshop because of engine- and brakes-related issues, more irritating than serious, and we kept it for less than two years.  My memory of it is of overlong braking distances and poor stability in the wet. 

One of my worst experiences with any car regarded a mid-90s Mondeo I once rented in Germany.  After leaving it overnight in a motel car park, I found it covered in thick frost.  Upon yanking the door open, the rubber door-seal came away with it, leaving me to try and get it back in position in the bitter cold, which I managed with the help of tape before driving 100km in sleet and snow to the next town with a Hertz office to get a replacement.

As regards American Fords, I occasionally had use when visiting my company’s HQ in Chicago of a car pool consisting entirely of Fairmonts and a few Mercury models.  I never drove one that didn’t have a rattle.  Mind you, I was once a passenger in the CEO’s Lincoln Continental, and that was totally rattle-free.

I don't blame your negatively towards Ford's Renato. I'd feel the same if I experienced similar.

I've had 4 mk4/4.5 Mondeos and on my 3rd mk3 Focus. I've been lucky that I've had no issues with any. Ok I got my current one cheap and expected to spend on it which I have but it hasn't put me off it.

On 8/16/2023 at 7:33 PM, Mr Vlad said:

With the focus being so good, what’s drawing you back to Lexus? Is it the engine?

Well I've been pootling around (mostly local driving) in LS430s since 2012 and cant think of any other £5k car that will match the quality, serene drive and value!! they are terrible cars - everything elese seems inferior😀

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, cruisermark said:

Well I've been pootling around (mostly local driving) in LS430s since 2012 and cant think of any other £5k car that will match the quality, serene drive and value!! they are terrible cars - everything elese seems inferior😀

I agree Lexus cars are terrible, they spoil one's experience in any other marque 😉😁

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Personal experience with cars does taint your view. My poor Volvo and BMW experiences (compared to Lexus) has soured my view of these makes. Whenever I have strayed away from Japanese derived cars, I have been bitten with costly repairs.

• Like 1

To answer you Marcus. Having had 4 Lexus cars the once driven forever smitten scenario comes to the fore.

It's unfortunate some members above have had bad luck with Lexus. Me? None at all. Yes last year the alternator packed up unexpectedly but on a 15 year old car it's to be expected. 

I'd never have a beemer or merc. I've had those owners come up to me when I had my is250 and ask what's it like. I believe they bought one because their German cars cost a ruddy fortune in repairs. 

• Like 1

3 years ago my NX's PCP was up and I felt it was long overdue to move to full EV. Sadly Lexus had no EV so I bought a Tesla 3LR (good efficiency, 300 mile range, 250kw charging so can charge to 80% in 20 mins, 0-60 in 3.7 sec with acceleration boost option, OTA updates, one pedal driving, loads of boot space). I'm waiting for Lexus to produce a good EV that's not ridculously expensive, ideally an IS-sized saloon or NX-sized SUV that matches or beats the spec of my three year old Tesla. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, javadude said:

3 years ago my NX's PCP was up and I felt it was long overdue to move to full EV. Sadly Lexus had no EV so I bought a Tesla 3LR (good efficiency, 300 mile range, 250kw charging so can charge to 80% in 20 mins, 0-60 in 3.7 sec with acceleration boost option, OTA updates, one pedal driving, loads of boot space). I'm waiting for Lexus to produce a good EV that's not ridculously expensive, ideally an IS-sized saloon or NX-sized SUV that matches or beats the spec of my three year old Tesla. 

Happy with the overall quality so far?

1 hour ago, javadude said:

We have an S90 in the family - Tesla have nailed it with the technology and software - unfortunatley they can't make cars - really lacking in build quality and looks - also BIG depreciation within a year!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, talaipwros said:

After my GS I got a 7 series and another 7 series after that.

amazing vehicles, zero falts

Got the RX450h as a second ( well third) vehicle but I still drive the 7 for commuting

What engine you have in the 7? how old and how many miles?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dutchie01 said:

What engine you have in the 7? how old and how many miles?

first 7 series (F01) was the 730d, done around 75 thousand miles, zero problems but I wanted AWD because it wasn't great on the snow ( like all rear wheel drives)

gave it to BMW and got the G11 740d xdrive, got 123.000 miles, zero problems, just regular services ( and is great on snow)

1 hour ago, talaipwros said:

Happy with the overall quality so far?

1 hour ago, cruisermark said:

We have an S90 in the family - Tesla have nailed it with the technology and software - unfortunatley they can't make cars - really lacking in build quality and looks - also BIG depreciation within a year!

Answering both... Quality used to be hit and miss when the UK cars were produced in the US (up to end 2020). Sadly mine was a miss. There were quite a few cosmetic issues that needed sorting while other people had no problems with theirs. Apart from that its been solid, no problems. The chinese built ones had early issues (end 2020 / early 2021) after that quality seems to have improved a lot. Problems that do get mentioned on the forums tend to relate to design defects in the earlier models, the S and X. One plus with Tesla is that they're always improving the build process and components. A down-side of that is occasional stupid decisions to reinvent the wheel when a wheel worked fine, eg a yoke for steering on the latest S/X and ditching parking sensors in favour of obstacle detection using the cameras when parking sensor supply was a problem.

Looks are subjective. I love the external looks. The minimalist interior suits my autistic brain: I find it calming. Overall I love the car despite the early problems.

Depreciation has been random. Early on mine held its value well. After two years I could have sold it for close to what I paid as Tesla couldn't make new ones fast enough for the massive demand. Then the price of new ones was reduced, electric prices shot up and 3 year old lease/PCP cars hit the used market: then depreciation was big. Tesla new pricing is fairly random going up and down depending on demand. A plus is you can get a used Telsa for cheap money these days and you'll get a fast car and access to the supercharger network.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

To answer you Marcus. Having had 4 Lexus cars the once driven forever smitten scenario comes to the fore.

It's unfortunate some members above have had bad luck with Lexus. Me? None at all. Yes last year the alternator packed up unexpectedly but on a 15 year old car it's to be expected. 

I'd never have a beemer or merc. I've had those owners come up to me when I had my is250 and ask what's it like. I believe they bought one because their German cars cost a ruddy fortune in repairs. 

Reliability has always been a major part of my purchase decision so have been lucky so far.  Both my Lexus cars have been faultless, most unreliable was an Alfa Brera but still has a soft spot in my heart!

Wife drives an Evoque that’s 4yr old and has been fine too, though starting to do daft stuff like reversing camera playing up intermittently and brake wear indicators go off sometimes!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links