Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well, after almost 2.5 very eventful years it's time to go.

All the issues with economy, rattles etc have left a sad glint in my eye. Not to say that ditching the car 3.5 years ahead of schedule hasn't cost us £000's in real cash too. But alas we couldn't carry on. Lets not go there!

The looming Credit crunch has created some good deals and you can push dealerships beyond the norm - both on purchase price/cost to change and finance options.

What did we look at?

I didn't want the new A4 - dodgy driving position and it' too new - I don't want to be pathfinding issues again

IS250 - considered it for a few minutes, but the dealership didn't really come up with a good enough deal UNTIL the BMW dealer asked the Lex dealer (Same group) to buy mine off them - then they panicked and upped the PEX price by £1000 - amazingly rang me whilst I was trying to negotioate a price on a prospective purchase! The thought of squeaks and rattles in the usual places put me off...I'd forever be looking out for them! also - I need to take delivery immediately....so that meant 08 MY, not the 09. The deal was just not good enough overall.

Merc C Class - still too new and I hate the saggy rear end

3 series - facelifted one with newer idrive seems really good, but it would mean a brand new one or keep the Lexus for another 6 months and buy an ex-demo. Well I couldn't wait!

SO what did we buy?

Well...it's not Japanese. I'm afraid it's a German again, and not in the same category as the IS/Compact exec cars. 57 plate. We went one size bigger so you can't really compare it to the 220d - other than to say it's 6 Cylinder Diesel, 3.0l, Automatic and is more economical than the IS220d!

It's a 525d M Sport Auto with Leather, Media, Privacy glass tc etc. It's the new LCI model and has the flybywire gears etc and all teethers in the iDrive are aparently resolved. No one who I know with one/IDrive since 2006 have an issue - so fingers are crossed!

It's done less than 5000 miles, list price was £40k, is virtually mint and cost the same as the discounted IS250 SE/MM Auto...A few of these exist in the wider family (523-535d) so I sort of knew what to expect!!

On the test drive it showed 40mpg and I wasn't hanging about. That's more than I've seen on the IS220d for a year now!! Even with a 5-10% error in the calculations, the sheer performance of the auto box and max torque delivered from just 1300RPM makes the 525d quick!! I also know first hand that a 535d can achieve 40-42MPG on a run, so I'm expecting mid to high 40's.

So it just leaves me to say a big THANK YOU and good bye...

Scarlet Pimp (AKA Jamboo)

Sad to see you go mate, but hopefully things work out better for you with the BMW............except for the quality of the interior I'm a big fan of the 5 series MSport so I'm sure things will be better, in terms of diesel engines no one can touch the BMs for performance and economy........

Do come back and let us know how the new motor compares! :)

Sad to see you go mate, but hopefully things work out better for you with the BMW............except for the quality of the interior I'm a big fan of the 5 series MSport so I'm sure things will be better, in terms of diesel engines no one can touch the BMs for performance and economy........

Do come back and let us know how the new motor compares! :)

Cheers mate.

I did have a long hard look at the quality of the interior and compard to the new IS (and GS), it appears to have a better consistency of materials used. It's well put together and not as "where's my money gone" 3 series, inspite of being over 5 years old into production now.

The quality is at least as good as the Lexus IMHO. The only things that are a slight downer on the 5 over the G2 IS are the resolution of the screen on the Satnav. It's a bit like that of the earlier GS300's, grainy, but it's OK. As long as it gets me there I'll be happy!! The sound system is a bit feeble too!!

The seats are incredibly comfortable though - firm and supportive in true germanic style. The boot is 520litres compared to the 375 of the Lex, but as I mentioned, it's the next size up!! And rear leg room is massive!!

The fact that I won't have touch screen is the biggest worry!! The iDrive is a bit daunting, but people tell me it's like using a mouse...Yeah...right! Famous last words...

I'll come back and let you know more once it arrives.

Sorry to heard about the problems you had with your Lexus, I think the 5 series is also a good choice, i would love one if i can afford it, best of luck matey, and keep coming back to have a chat with us Jamboo....

Sorry to heard about the problems you had with your Lexus, I think the 5 series is also a good choice, i would love one if i can afford it, best of luck matey, and keep coming back to have a chat with us Jamboo....

Good choice Jamboo. I was hoping to find a 525/530d within budget, but the dealership is the same as the Lexus one. They won't be getting any of my business again for a long, long time. Good to see even a 520d returns better MPG than the 220d and wil be only £115 to tax come 2010.

Hi Jambo -wow you will be missed as I have been wondering where you were ie won the lottery - robbed a bank etc. or even that your IS 220 d was running ok ???

great choice in limo - I have been able to compare LEX V BMW over the last 11 months and to date the BMW has not missed a beat and has been no where near the BMW service dept - so you will not be disapointed in your new purchase - still got the IS 250 and have started looking - so thanks for doing the leg work for me and will be looking into a 5 series myself

take care

swager

Hi Jambo -wow you will be missed as I have been wondering where you were ie won the lottery - robbed a bank etc. or even that your IS 220 d was running ok ???

great choice in limo - I have been able to compare LEX V BMW over the last 11 months and to date the BMW has not missed a beat and has been no where near the BMW service dept - so you will not be disapointed in your new purchase - still got the IS 250 and have started looking - so thanks for doing the leg work for me and will be looking into a 5 series myself

take care

swager

Cheers guys - appreciated.

Swager - I looked at all combo's - SE's, M Sports etc, 17"-19" wheels, and the ride actually isn't that bad in a 5 ser, even with the Mixed 19" alloys. With a new model around the corner there are loads of LCI models to choose from - manufuactured post Jul'07. Just avoid the 4 cylinder diesel - it's not bad, but it doesn't have the awesome grunt of the 6 cylinders...though it is economical and avoid the ones without shiny Auto lever (i.e. pre LCI) - again they are not bad, but the LCI ones are the last incarnation and will hold values better. Also - spec is all important - Media, Leather and Auto are mandatory if you want to gt a decent price back!!

And yes - it is so easy to make a 525d into a 530d!! Just a remap!

I have done lots of homework this time - didn't want a new model, and wanted a car I could keep long term. The 5 series seems to hit on all scores.

I will be coming back here to see how you all are, and post every now and again.

Take care guys, and thanks for all your help, threads, posts, frustrations (at me) etc. Nothing personal ever intended or taken - like everyone else here, all I wanted to do was make sure we got the dealers and Lexus to sort things out. At times people thought I was being negative too often, but sometimes you need a balance in order the odd heckle keeps the status quo.

I think they are almost there now with the 57 plate 220d and onwards - so good luck to you all. I will have some fond memories of the IS - and take a glancing look as each one goes by, 'cos I still think it's one of the best VFM cars arpound, and the best looking. Ironically I've gone from the best looking car to the pig ugliest....!!

:blush:

Au Revoir (or should I be saying Auf Wiedersen??)!!

Best of luck with new motor Jamboo, I think the 5 series are superb cars, too big for us though.

I've not posted or commented for a while but still look at the forum now and then.

Picked up on your I.D. change, don't blame you with some of the abuse you were getting, you were only telling it as it was for you, that upset some people which gave credence to your question is it a forum or a fan club.

Purchase of new car never materialised, got a paltry discount offered by local dealer, 2.5%, said I was looking for 7.5%, would have bought at 6%, they never came back to me, honest!

Didn't want to go down "Drive The Deal" route, wanted to buy locally. In the end I couldn't be arsed. What I do now when we need a bigger car for any reason is hire one from my local BMW garage, they have details of our licences, I phone them, they drop a car off and collect it when we've finished with it, they are superb to deal with and it's hassle free.

I've test drove the 3 series, but don't like the look of the car, the new C 220 CDI auto and IS 250 auto, for me the Lexus was different class, far superior, we are all individuals, "one man's meat?"

I've enjoyed reading about your trials and tribulations with a 220d and as you have always had something interesting and informative to say, I like others would like you to continue putting in your "two penneth" now and again.

Cheers,

Exiled.

The best thing about BMWs is you get your own lane on the m-way, and you have special dispensation to use your mobile whilst driving, and not use your indicators!

Enjoy- 535s are great cars, BMW make the best engines IMO.

Well guys - what can I say? For those who stated that they are interested, read on. THIS IS NOT for the Lexsqueamish!

The 5 is in a different league altogether! The more I drive it the more I realise that I've finally gone back "home" to Bavaria again. It is more comparable to a GS in size etc, but for the money it's a no brainer...new IS or a slightly used 5 series...no competition there at all!

OK - the Satnav is OK, but not brilliant, the iDrive is fine once you start to use the voice commands and combine the idrive and voice (then it becomes a joy to use) - but the biggest benefit of all is the drive. That's what BMW's are about and this is as good as it will ever get. It only has 17bhp more than the IS220d, but all I can say is wow! It absolutely flies! You really cannot tell it's a diesel at all, even when you cain it, and it has so much low down torque. The auto box too is really good and perfectly matched. the sports seats are firm and supportive and the steering spot on! Every switch is where you want it.

Fuel economy hovers currently around 27mpg - town only driving and 80%gentle, 20% smiley stuff. For a 3 litre Auto it's pretty good! Incidentally that is identical to the IS in my hands driven 100% gentle.....

The standard stereo is surprisingly good unless you push the volume up too high.

I do miss the rear camera though. The optical PDC in the Beemer is very good, but nothing beats a good camera! The MLS is something I miss too overall. But that's all I really miss! I can even live without touch screen, Smart access and vented seats despite the humid weather!

The 5 has NO rattles or squeaks at all - I mean ZERO - in fact it is cathedral quiet inside just as I had expected! Much quieter than the IS and I reckon given the M sport tyres on 18" rims, similar to the GS from a rgular ambience perspective. BUT - there is almost zero road noise in the beemer - wheres the GS does have some on rough roads.... That is the most defining feature. No matter what surface - the ride remains very very quiet and actually smoother than the pre 2007 5's. They tweaked the suspension last year and it is a changed machine. Even with M Sport suspension and ultra low profiles.

Overall it is head and shoulders above the IS, and better than the GS - only because of the steering and handling. It truly is flybytheseat stuff.

So far so good!

Nice one mate, I'm glad things are going better with the BM (let's hope that continues! :P )

I'd probably agree with everything you've said, nothing drives like a BMW but is the ride ok? I remember test driving a 545 a few years back and I thought the ride was ridiculously hard - that wasn't even a Sport model, it was an SE and compared to the GS and the CLS (that we eventually bought) there was no comparison.

Other than that, your compliments and downsides are pretty much exactly as I'd see them myself.........do let us know as the months pass if the car is still behaving exactly as you'd like :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links