Recommended Posts

Its on this Sunday. Unfortunately on track - in a race with a civic.

 

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

17 minutes ago, Comedian said:

 

Its on this Sunday. Unfortunately on track - in a race with a civic.

 

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

 

 

 

Mugen Type R.................I hope not.............

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I will wait to see the outcome but, as you obviously know, the LC is not a track machine.

I know what I would prefer to drive on a long road trip.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't worry. It was all pre-scripted before they turned a wheel. It will have no basis in reality.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was hoping that with the new Top Gear bunch that they might start comparing cars that are in the same category, obversely NOT.

I understood it with Clarkson and co who have never been fans of the Lexus brand ( except perhaps the LFA ) only Quentin Willson years back had any passion for Lexus ( he owned a LS400 )

The LC500 is NOT a track car its a GT curser.next they will be pitching against a F1 car.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wendle said:

I understood it with Clarkson and co who have never been fans of the Lexus brand ( except perhaps the LFA ) only Quentin Willson years back had any passion for Lexus ( he owned a LS400 )

Clarkson has said pretty good things about the GS450h on Top Gear, and certainly liked the GS F when it was tested on The Grand Tour.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Clarkson has said pretty good things about the GS450h on Top Gear, and certainly liked the GS F when it was tested on The Grand Tour.

I remember watching Clarkson reviewing the LS400 back in 1990. He finished his review with the words ''This is probably the best car I have ever driven''

That made my mind up that one day I will own a Lexus. Took me 10 years of waiting for it to reach my budget, but so glad I did.

Have just purchased my 6th LS today.

Thank you Mr Clarkson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was even more complimentary about the LFA - there was no ‘probably’ about it... funnily enough I’ve just bought this very magazine to add to the downstairs khazi library...

 

 

C08258AA-752C-4D82-B8AA-E4CB211A1785.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10-3-2018 at 10:46 AM, Comedian said:

I wouldn't worry. It was all pre-scripted before they turned a wheel. It will have no basis in reality.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk
 

I wont be watching just cannot stand Matt Leblanc in that role. His slowmo speech and acting manners. It does fit the scripted format of the programme however. Oh those old days in the early years of top gear where it was like watching pubtalk about cars with 3 of your friends..

And yes, the LC is not a track car, everybody knows that

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The civic does draw a lot of attention, I've been a passenger in one that a friend owns a number of times and if I was a hot hatch man making a decision purely on the dynamics of the thing and overlooked the er......... looks I'd have one they really are very good.

Last time out we stopped for fuel and a group of lads came over all smiles asking to take pictures and so using words like sick..... wicked....innit bruv....... ah well they we are just thought I'd mention it 😬

Big Rat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone has just picked up an 18 plate type r near me. I think they still live with their mum though. No doubt about it being a good car, I'd like an older one as a commuter.

The new ones seem quite large though

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Comedian said:

Someone has just picked up an 18 plate type r near me. I think they still live with their mum though. No doubt about it being a good car, I'd like an older one as a commuter.

The new ones seem quite large though

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk
 

Not that I’ve seen many (😜) Type Rs, but I would say they are right up front for taller drivers.

Swindon 1 - Lexus 0

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't see the point in pitching the cars together as they are both different animals. I've had it with TG I shan't bother to record or watch anymore. Dump the programme BBC if TG was food it would be covered in mould.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspected the Honda would win when I seen that Harris would be driving it. They should've featured the LC500 in last week's "V8" episode instead. At least then it would've been in similar company.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/03/2018 at 8:21 PM, graham8370 said:

I remember watching Clarkson reviewing the LS400 back in 1990. He finished his review with the words ''This is probably the best car I have ever driven''

That made my mind up that one day I will own a Lexus. Took me 10 years of waiting for it to reach my budget, but so glad I did.

Have just purchased my 6th LS today.

Thank you Mr Clarkson.

Although a few years later he did say it's sooooo boring and ended up destroying one with military weapons! Obviously by boring he meant it was ultra reliable and quiet and comfortable.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, J Henderson said:

I suspected the Honda would win when I seen that Harris would be driving it. 

And they previously voted it "Top Gear car of the year".

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find both TG and The Grand Tour difficult to watch. Both are so predictable and scripted that it is like an episode of the kardashians. And then some topics are soo painfully slow it's like chewing on a badly cooked steak,  and why oh why do they keep on going with that element of "competition; ( oh soo exciting who will win who will win!)

The holy spirit is long gone and throwing an obscene amount of money at it only seems to make it worse. Better to kill both programmes and start all over from scratch, I am convinced there will be room for a quality motoring programme on the BBC, but please if you are listening, no special effects and employ Motoring Journalists instead of B grade actors reading the script! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. TG just tries so hard and it shows while Clarkson and the other two muppets are like fingers down a blackboard. I jumped ship to YT years ago. Now when I need a fix I just watch car reviews from the likes of Carwow, CarBuyer, Autogefuhl (all basically the TG format in its William Woollard days) and for entertainment I'll watch far more interesting presenters such as Carpervert, Sniff Petrol or Smith & Sniff.

The Sniff Petrol/Smith & Sniff videos I can thoroughly recommend. Just two blokes driving round talking about stuff. Brilliant. I now palm while maneuvering  and always put my left arm behind the passenger seat in reverse.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you look at it, there really wasn't much difference between the mature person's car and the boy racer special was there?

It's a daft comparison and I agree that the LC500 should have been in the V8 group last week.

Will I watch Top Gear in future? Well, I won't go out of my way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dad reversing! I have also had the misfortune to meet Johnathan Palmer😜

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, Chris Harris gave the LC500 a pretty good review before the race - the only strange thing he said was that the car is too expensive at £75k given that this is only half the price of a Honda NSX.

The race was always going to be close - LC500 243bhp per tonne, Civic Type R 229bhp per tonne.  The Lexus had the legs on the straight but was outbraked by the 'R' due to the Lexus's weight: 1935kg kerb weight versus 1380kg for the Type 'R'.

Against last week's 570S,  SVR and Supercharged Mustang, the LC500 wouldn't have had a chance - but then unlike those cars, it's a gentleman's express!

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All just for TV effect. Every corner the LC came out oversteering.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vastly better than the top Gear review is the long road test of the LC500 in the April edition of "Car" out today.

Real roads (if empty ones in the USA) and good writing. I don't know if you can see this online yet but the car gets 4 stars and very positive vibes from Ben Miller.

This review is pretty much in line with my own feelings about the LC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, malcolmw said:

Vastly better than the top Gear review is the long road test of the LC500 in the April edition of "Car" out today.

Real roads (if empty ones in the USA) and good writing. I don't know if you can see this online yet but the car gets 4 stars and very positive vibes from Ben Miller.

This review is pretty much in line with my own feelings about the LC.

I'll pick up a copy.  The LC500 V8 was featured in a car chase in Black Panther which I was dragged along to yesterday.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now