Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sad News - Roy Of The Rovers

Like many of us, I'd never met John, but always valued his experience and advice.

I am sad to learn of his passing, and, of course, offer my condolences to his wife, family and friends.

• Like 3

That's shocking news.

I remember that he was the first to welcome me when I joined the forum and since then I quietly kept an interest in his posts.

In my thoughts tonight.

• Like 4

I'm very saddened by this news, John was a great contributor to this forum. His posting dropped away quite a bit recently and I was becoming concerned...

My sincerest condolences to John's family

Sleep well John 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I have just heard that John Williams (Roy of the Rovers) has passed away. My thoughts go out to Margaret, his wife, and his family. John was a regular contributor for many years. 

Thank you David, for sharing this very sad news with us.  Like many here, I feel I have lost a friend that I never had the pleasure of actually meeting.

I joined in June 2020 and it soon became clear that John was one of the stalwarts of the LOC.  I appreciated his wit and wisdom - and in exchanging PMs discovered that we were not dissimilar in backgrounds and age.

He was what we used to describe affectionately as a ‘Gentleman and Scholar’.

In the last PM we exchanged exactly one month ago, he shared with me the news of his deteriorating health.  I too extend my sincere condolences to Margaret and his Family and very much hope that they see this Post and thus appreciate how much he was  admired by strangers whose only connection was that they owned a Lexus!

One thing that amused us both - and that John would gently point out - was that the answers to many of the questions raised could be found in the car’s Manual.  But that didn’t stop him from helping a fellow owner.

I - and the LOC - shall miss him greatly.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, LenT said:

Thank you David, for sharing this very sad news with us.  Like many here, I feel I have lost a friend that I never had the pleasure of actually meeting.

I joined in June 2020 and it soon became clear that John was one of the stalwarts of the LOC.  I appreciated his wit and wisdom - and in exchanging PMs discovered that we were not dissimilar in backgrounds and age.

He was what we used to describe affectionately as a ‘Gentleman and Scholar’.

In the last PM we exchanged exactly one month ago, he shared with me the news of his deteriorating health.  I too extend my sincere condolences to Margaret and his Family and very much hope that they see this Post and thus appreciate how much he was  admired by strangers whose only connection was that they owned a Lexus!

One thing that amused us both - and that John would gently point out - was that the answers to many of the questions raised could be found in the car’s Manual.  But that didn’t stop him from helping a fellow owner.

I - and the LOC - shall miss him greatly.

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments Len. A real shocker and for me it follows on last weeks news of a similar fate for a fellow Jaguar XK owners club member, Keith Fox, who will be missed in equal measure. As my dear Mother would've said "whatever is the world coming to"? 

• Like 5

I'm surprised by how shocked I am by this news..

Like many of you, I had come to know John as a very friendly, helpful character on here and it just won't be the same without him.

A prolific contributor, always ready with a great reply, and a reassuring presence.

RIP 😞

• Like 6

Regards

John :shifty:

“Instructed and inspired by Britprius”

He always had this at the end of his many wonderful and thought provoking Posts 

RIP John

Malc

• Like 3

RIP John. I really enjoyed our messaging and our emails. All be it he knew all about Lexus's. He also had a very astute business brain... And helped me with some of business problems... My sincerest condolences to John's family

• Like 8

Apologies for my somewhat delayed response.

So sorry to hear this news, my sincere condolences go out to his family.

Life as we all know is finite, be grateful for every day and live it to the full.

RIP John.

Steve.

• Like 9

This is Sarah Williams, John’s daughter although I think you all knew him better as Roy of the Rovers.  Thank you for allowing me into the group and for all your messages of condolence which are hugely comforting at this very sad time.  

This community was an enormous part of Dad’s life and was very very important to him.  As his health deteriorated and he couldn’t do much physically he spent longer and longer with his online friends.  Being able to contribute to the group and help people out with their cars brought him so much joy - not least because his own children would regularly disregard his advice and buy totally unsuitable cars which he would then have to chastise us about! My husband (his son in law) has a mini.  You can just imagine what he thought of that 😂.

my mum, sister Liz and brother Andy and I are all keen to hear any stories you might have about him and find out more about the time he spent in this community so please do share your memories.  We would be eternally grateful for them and they will help us get to know a different side of the totally wonderful amazing once in a kind human being we called Dad. 

I thought you might all like to see a photo of him - will try and share some of him with his cars in later days. 

if anyone would like to know about the funeral let me know and I will share details in here once we know.  The staff at his local Lexus dealership have all said they are coming so I think we might need to arrange a Lexus procession to the service! 

14C69C60-A973-48D7-A200-A2B45ACC0B66.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 20
  • Sad 1

Sadly.. It Is At Times of Great Loss we Realize just how Much Our Lives Hang In The Balance And our Health can Change in A Heartbeat..I Only Knew John For about a Year But Found him Inspiring Very Knowledgeable And Quick Witted But Most of all A Kind and considerate fellow...You Will Be Sadly Missed my Friend..God bless you and Till We Meet again..Condolensces to his Wife Margaret and Indeed all The Family..R.I.P

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Royoftheroversdaughter said:

This is Sarah Williams, John’s daughter although I think you all knew him better as Roy of the Rovers.  Thank you for allowing me into the group and for all your messages of condolence which are hugely comforting at this very sad time.  

This community was an enormous part of Dad’s life and was very very important to him.  As his health deteriorated and he couldn’t do much physically he spent longer and longer with his online friends.  Being able to contribute to the group and help people out with their cars brought him so much joy - not least because his own children would regularly disregard his advice and buy totally unsuitable cars which he would then have to chastise us about! My husband (his son in law) has a mini.  You can just imagine what he thought of that 😂.

my mum, sister Liz and brother Andy and I are all keen to hear any stories you might have about him and find out more about the time he spent in this community so please do share your memories.  We would be eternally grateful for them and they will help us get to know a different side of the totally wonderful amazing once in a kind human being we called Dad. 

I thought you might all like to see a photo of him - will try and share some of him with his cars in later days. 

if anyone would like to know about the funeral let me know and I will share details in here once we know.  The staff at his local Lexus dealership have all said they are coming so I think we might need to arrange a Lexus procession to the service! 

14C69C60-A973-48D7-A200-A2B45ACC0B66.jpeg

That's a wonderful tribute to your father Sarah, well said you. He and I had many enjoyable exchanges especially as he knew my overriding affinity with Greece and the Greek people. They have a saying, (one of many) which roughly translated says, "don't walk behind me as I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me as I may not always follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend". This for me sums up your father exactly. Warmest of wishes Philip 

• Like 18

I am a fairly recent convert to Lexus and the joy of owning such a fantastic car .  Very soon after I got the car I joined this forum which made me aware that Lexus is  a very  special brand with lovely owners who have all sorts of opinions on cars and everything else  but one thing in common is a love and respect for the brand

Condolences  to you Sarah, Margaret and all the family.

• Like 7

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links